California is the Best.

Minimally moderated forum for climbing related hearsay, misinformation, and lies.
Guyzo

by Guyzo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:59 pm

Day, yes Vegas is pretty centrally located and close to tons of great stuff. The only real minus is that the Average daily temperature is like 156 degrees. :wink:

But in it's favor is the fact that the Red Rock Rangers are only one step down in ass-hole-ness from the Yosemite ones. So when you get to the Valley you will be up for dealing with them.

Watching Fat gamblers stuffing nickel slots, than hitting the 24/7 buffet is one of the highlights of any trip to the Red Rocks.

Redpoynte

by Redpoynte » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:43 pm

Wow, I thought after my last post there'd be many stones and arrows hurled my way. I guess you Californian's are too laid back though. :P I always feel like I'm in a foreign country when I visit Cali, which I love, but I'd never live there. I did a two year stint in the mid 80's, but I was a child.

Where in CA can you live in a major metropolitan area, and climb a 14,000'+ mountain on a weekday and be back in time for work? Denver ==> Mt. Evans ==> Snave Couloir ==> Denver by 8AM! :D

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:49 pm

Redpoynte wrote:Where in CA can you live in a major metropolitan area, and climb a 14,000'+ mountain on a weekday and be back in time for work? Denver ==> Mt. Evans ==> Snave Couloir ==> Denver by 8AM! :D

EZ... Bishop. :) :)

Redpoynte

by Redpoynte » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:52 pm

O.K., in CA can you climb a 14k peak, ski down it, climb a few pitches of rock, then be sitting in the stands of an NFL stadium drinking a beer by noon?

Denver ==> Mt. Evans ==> up the Snave Couloir ==> ski the NF ==> drive down to clear creek canyon ==> send some sport pitches up to 5.13 ==> Invesco Field (Broncos) by noon! :D

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:52 pm

Eh, Bishop isn't "major metro" ..

I would tend to say Sacramento -> Shasta :) It's like 5 hours from my house in San Jose to Bunny Flat. For someone in Sac I would guess it's even closer.

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:57 pm

And for the rock climbing part, Castle Crags state park near Dunsmuir is on the way :)

NFL stadium ? Beer-drinking ? Like I care :lol:

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:00 pm

Redpoynte wrote:O.K., in CA can you climb a 14k peak, ski down it, climb a few pitches of rock, then be sitting in the stands of an NFL stadium drinking a beer by noon?

:D

Now that's below the belt ..... 8)

NFL = No Football in LA.

Without a team, I really don't care much about sitting home watching on TV on Sundays, frees me up to go hit the crags.

How are the Broncos going to do this year?

rlhansen

by rlhansen » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:49 pm

There are some good points about both areas made in this thread. I was born/raised in CA, been up and down 395 too many times to count, moved to CO for 7 years and now am back in CA. I had a lot of fun in CO and many aspects of it still pulls at my heartstrings. I skiied and climbed with some good people out there. It was tough to leave.

But I was just up on Hurd Peak this past weekend then drove up to Mammoth for a couple days. Simply put, I felt like I was home again. The Sierra is special.

Guyzo

by Guyzo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:56 pm

Lolli wrote:you sit in the stands?

(isn't stands the section where people stand? Or doesn't American football have those sections?)

No, you stand in your seats. :wink:

English is pretty weird....

you drive on the parkway....
you park in your driveway....

:?:

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:26 pm

Redpoynte wrote:Where in CA can you live in a major metropolitan area, and climb a 14,000'+ mountain on a weekday and be back in time for work? Denver ==> Mt. Evans ==> Snave Couloir ==> Denver by 8AM! :D

How long does it take to hike Mount Evans, and why would you want to do the entire thing in the dark, before work? When would you sleep?

Or are you talking about hiking it on a weekday and then working on the next weekday? If so, I can work in Vegas on Monday, drive to Lone Pine after work, hike Mount Whitney on Tuesday, and be back Tuesday night in time to get enough sleep before working again Wednesday morning.

For the Grand Canyon, I've actually driven there, hiked rim to river and back, and driven home, all in one day. I was even home in time for dinner.

erykmynn

by erykmynn » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:26 pm

Sacramento can't be much worse than Denver =]

chicagotransplant

by chicagotransplant » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:38 pm

butitsadryheat wrote:
Guyzo wrote:
Lolli wrote:you sit in the stands?

(isn't stands the section where people stand? Or doesn't American football have those sections?)

No, you stand in your seats. :wink:

English is pretty weird....

you drive on the parkway....
you park in your driveway....

:?:

We call them buildings instead of builts....
We call them hot water heaters instead of cold water heaters...

And why do they call it a TV set if you only get one?

Not to mention a statue called a bust stops right above the part its named after.

mattocrc

by mattocrc » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:04 am

California is my native land why would I go anywhere else! ('8)')

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:12 am

Arizona is a flaming cesspool of misable heat, so why would I NOT want to go anywhere else?

Unless (if) the taxes go up, then I have to get my ass up to Oregon.

:P

PreviousNext

Return to Ethics, Spray, and Slander