Camping Near canyonlands

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.
wsch

Camping Near canyonlands

by wsch » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi, I am going hiking in the Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands next week. I was wondering if anyone knows of good campsites in the area? We would like to camp in the park, but are not sure if there will be enough space when we arrive. Also, if you have any hikes to recomend that would great as well.

Will

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:59 pm

Are you talking about car-camping or pack in sites?

no avatar
erial

by erial » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:53 pm

Plentiful free sites can be found alongside nearby Gemini Bridges Rd. Several arches (Bullwhip, Mosquito) are in the general area. Hiking in upper Mineral Canyon might be interesting. Drive 4.4 miles down Mineral Bottom Rd to a borrow pit. Hike westerly into canyon. Several arches and other rock exotica can be visited.

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:06 pm

1000Pks wrote:The only official NPS campground I recall is up the Needles District road, a small few sites. Quite a way from Island in the Sky.

There is a small campground at Island in the Sky (no water), as well as numerous primitive campgrounds along the White Rim Road.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:38 am

There are several BLM sites along Route 313 on the way to Island in the Sky that are $8/night. The last one I believe is called Cowboy Camp. Gemini Bridges is also an option, as someone else mentioned, but it's a VERY rough road up to there - I wouldn't try it with 4wd and high clearance.

Keep in mind that if you're camping in the Island in the Sky area, you are on a mesa about 2000 feet higher than Moab valley, and it gets REALLY cold up there. Found out the hard way last week...

P.S. If you prefer to camp inside the park and don't mind paying $15/night, I doubt you'll have trouble finding a spot in Willow Flat campground this time of year, particularly if you're going mid-week.

Gafoto

by Gafoto » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:01 am

As others have said, there are BLM campsites on the way to Island in the Sky. There is one on the right as you get near the northern entrance to Gemini Bridges called Horse Thief. I've never actually been in it but I have to imagine it's as simple and spartan as their other campgrounds. Probably no running water.

The Gemini Bridges road is rough, but doable in most vehicles with 4WD and high clearance. I drove it numerous times in a Trailblazer, not the most capable vehicle. If coming from 191 you don't even have to go over any of the toughest sections before finding the camping sites an a turnoff on the left. The time it will take to get in and out of that road make it not worth your while though.

There are several other BLM campgrounds closer to Moab like Goose Island (north on 128 at the Lions Park) and one down the Potash road at the trailhead for the Moab Portal trail.

Mark Doiron

by Mark Doiron » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:52 am

Bubba Suess wrote: ... There is a small campground at Island in the Sky (no water), as well as numerous primitive campgrounds along the White Rim Road.

Campgrounds along White Rim Road are only 4WD accessible (probably the best views from a vehicle in this region of Utah along that Jeep trail). And they require a special permit to use. The permit can be difficult to obtain during busy season. Easter Jeep Safari is coming up the week leading up to Easter--great fun, but it will be extremely crowded everywhere in Moab. There are also campgrounds along the Fins and Things Jeep trail that are accessible to most any vehicle. Have the advantage of being very close to town which, as alluded to before, does have a lot of excellent restaurants.

BTW: I don't recommend this, but I've seen a Nissan car out on Gemini Bridges Trail.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:20 pm

BTW: I don't recommend this, but I've seen a Nissan car out on Gemini Bridges Trail.

:lol: Yep...tried the first mile or so in a rented Hyundai Sonata the other week...didn't go so well. I suspect it was also in exceptionally rough shape due to all the recent snow and rain.

rmick25

by rmick25 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Mark Doiron wrote:
Bubba Suess wrote: ... There is a small campground at Island in the Sky (no water), as well as numerous primitive campgrounds along the White Rim Road.

Campgrounds along White Rim Road are only 4WD accessible (probably the best views from a vehicle in this region of Utah along that Jeep trail). And they require a special permit to use. The permit can be difficult to obtain during busy season. Easter Jeep Safari is coming up the week leading up to Easter--great fun, but it will be extremely crowded everywhere in Moab. There are also campgrounds along the Fins and Things Jeep trail that are accessible to most any vehicle. Have the advantage of being very close to town which, as alluded to before, does have a lot of excellent restaurants.

I can attest to the crazyness of the Easter Jeep days. It's March 27th - April 4th, 2010 if your going to be there at this time I would try to reserve something if you plan on staying anywhere near Moab.

My springbreak coincided with this one year while I was there to float the Green River. We stayed our first night near Moab and it took at least 3 hrs to find camping. When we finally did find one we ended up next to some rowdy folk playing music late into the night which brought in other rowdies who were not so happy with the music. Gun shots, machetes, about 5 cop cars, frisking and questioning ensued along with the smashing of some of our much needed glass. In the end we were told "I better never ever see you again" by the lead cop and we were the innocent bystandards, well mostly.

wsch

by wsch » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:43 am

Thanks for all of the great feedback!

Gafoto

by Gafoto » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:23 am

AlexeyD wrote:

:lol: Yep...tried the first mile or so in a rented Hyundai Sonata the other week...didn't go so well. I suspect it was also in exceptionally rough shape due to all the recent snow and rain.

I'm guessing you got on Gemini Bridges from 191. You could take a lowrider onto the road from the 313 entrance*. It's all flat dirt up there with no terribly difficult spots, at least out to the overlook.

When I was working on the road last year quite a few people came by and complained about how the road isn't nearly as rough as it used to be. I guess the county has gotten aggressive with their graders.

*not actually recommended

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:57 pm

Gafoto wrote:
AlexeyD wrote:

I'm guessing you got on Gemini Bridges from 191. You could take a lowrider onto the road from the 313 entrance*. It's all flat dirt up there with no terribly difficult spots, at least out to the overlook.

When I was working on the road last year quite a few people came by and complained about how the road isn't nearly as rough as it used to be. I guess the county has gotten aggressive with their graders.

*not actually recommended

Yep, that's precisely what we did, on account of not knowing any better!

Return to Utah