Camping on Marcy

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
jeffh25

Camping on Marcy

by jeffh25 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:09 pm

My Dad wants to climb Mt. Marcy this summer but will be 67 and in "ok" shape. He doesn't think he could do it as a day hike but wants to break it up into two days which he thinks he can handle. I can "sherpa" for him and carry all the heavy stuff but I just wondered what the highest, furthest along place to camp is, making for the shortest summit day? I think I read you have to camp below 4,000 ft but are you limited to established camping areas or just any place flat enough to throw up a tent? Thanks.

Autoxfil

Re: Camping on Marcy

by Autoxfil » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:01 am

There's a lean-to at Slant Rock if you come in from JBL. Coming the other way you can camp at Avalanche Camp, about a mile past Marcy Dam.

Get this book and it'll make things much better:

http://mountaineer.com/store/merchant.m ... y_Code=931

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:17 am

Looking at the map, Slant Rock is the highest camp. Others are close to the same distance/elevation to the summit (lake Arnold, Feldspar), but more out of the way.

There's a lean-to at all these locations (I think... Slant Rock and Avy Camp for sure).

I haven't hiked Marcy in years, trail conditions might push you another way, I'm sure others here can advise.

Are you trying to get your dad into shape on training hikes? It would be a good idea...

The following user would like to thank Autoxfil for this post
chocodove, jeffh25

jeffh25

by jeffh25 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:19 am

Thanks for the heads up on the book and yeah I'm trying to get him out and about more. A question about the lean-to's though. Do they need to be reserved or anything or are they first come first served? Or are they a multiple person kinda shelter like on the AT?

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:22 pm

jeffh25 wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the book and yeah I'm trying to get him out and about more. A question about the lean-to's though. Do they need to be reserved or anything or are they first come first served? Or are they a multiple person kinda shelter like on the AT?

The Adirondack lean-tos are first come, first served. I believe there is only one shelter at Slant Rock, but I could be wrong. There usually is, however, some space to pitch a tent in the vicinity of the lean-tos in case they are full.

The following user would like to thank AlexeyD for this post
jeffh25

jmh5331

by jmh5331 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:57 am

You're allowed (though not necessarily encouraged anymore) to camp anywhere that's below 3500' and ~150' away from trails and water sources. I was in a similar situation a couple years ago with a friend of mine, so we got out our map and picked a flat looking spot just below the 3500' line on the trail from ADK loj. It definitely made the climb easier on him, and we found a very nice and secluded meadow that was impossible to see from the trail. If I remember right, it was about 5-10 minutes before the sign that signifies an alpine environment on the ADK loj trail. Best of luck!

Mike

The following user would like to thank jmh5331 for this post
jeffh25

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)