Canadian man missing, Elko Co, NV

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Great American Southwest. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Southwest US Climbing Partners section.
Alpinist

Canadian man missing, Elko Co, NV

by Alpinist » Sun May 08, 2011 2:12 pm

Search teams scoured canyons and mountainsides for the missing husband of a rescued Canadian woman who survived for seven weeks on just snacks and water after they became stranded in remote northeastern Nevada.

Rita Chretien, 56, was discovered on Friday in the couple's van which was mired in mud on a national forest logging road in Elko County, authorities said.

The woman, who lost considerable weight but was hospitalized in fair condition, told investigators the last she saw 59-year-old Albert Chretien on March 22, when he set off for help on foot with a GPS unit just a few days after they got stuck, Elko County Sheriff Jim Pitts said.

Full story.

lcarreau

Re: Canadian man missing, Elko Co, NV

by lcarreau » Sun May 08, 2011 2:39 pm

The heavy equipment excavation business ? How ironic ...

I'll always remember when I was traveling up a canyon in the Superstition Mountains, and got stuck in the sand. Suddenly, a backhoe appeared and dragged me
outta there.

Best of luck to the lost person and searchers in this case.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

Castlereagh

Re: Canadian man missing, Elko Co, NV

by Castlereagh » Mon May 09, 2011 4:40 am

awful news, terrifying stuff. It's been a long time, but hopefully they'll find him

Return to Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)