Casio vs Suunto ABC Watches

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Taun

Casio vs Suunto ABC Watches

by Taun » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:07 pm

Looking for some feedback from owners of the Casio expedition watches with the Altimeter/Barometer functions. Are they at least as good as the likes of the Suunto core?

I had a Suunto core that started giving issues with the function buttons a while back, and support here in South Africa is shocking, so could not have it repaired. I am now in the market for a replacement, and was just going to buy another Suunto Core, but I noted the casio models are significantly cheaper, so am now considering them.

Personally, I never looked at the casios before, as the aesthetics of the casio watches just doesnt do it for me, but as a tool, I just need it to work, and for half the price of a Suunto, I may just consider one.

sharperblue

Re: Casio vs Suunto ABC Watches

by sharperblue » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:26 pm

I have a Casio Pathfinder purchased in 2009 - it's bulky, true, but really not much more than the Suunto models' width issues. I opted for the Casio as it is solar powered - never needs batteries, an option which Suunto's newer models now offer, but did not at the time. There are a lot of stories about the terrible battery life in the Suuntos and their being prone to self destruction, but they certainly have their fans who never experience any problems at all. The Casio seems rather indestructible; have to admit I love the dang ugly thing

The following user would like to thank sharperblue for this post
Taun

4corners

by 4corners » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:02 am

Ditto on the Casio. I think mine is from around the same time as sharperblue, maybe a couple years newer, and still running strong. It also corrects the time at night as well by connecting with the atomic clock.

Taun

by Taun » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:31 am

Thanks. with the input so far it seems I can go ahead and purchase a casio, saving a few pennies in the process. It is a tool at the end of the day, so as long as it does the job well, I can learn to live with the looks.

beean

by beean » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:29 am

Had a Casio solar protrek doohicky and I sorta regret swapping it for my Suunto, but I wanted a HR monitor as well.

I think the Casio is easier to read in sunlight, seems to have a better compass and unlimited battery.

Return to Gear