Castle Crags camping hassle

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
elliottwill

Castle Crags camping hassle

by elliottwill » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:12 am

We climbed a bit at Castle Crags last weekend. The State Park is $25 a night. And prohibits dogs on any trails. We had to carry ours to the climbing (fig. 1). So, if you want to climb alpine at Castle Crags, where do you leave your car overnight? The PCT access off I5 (Soda Creek or something?) had a no parking sign next to it. Any suggestions?

Image[/img]

The following user would like to thank elliottwill for this post
asweeney

rhyang

by rhyang » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:56 pm

Nice shot -- looks like the descent gully for the Cosmic Wall still has a lot of snow :)

Any thoughts on where the snow began on the approach ? Thinking of Six Toe Crack this spring sometime.

Can't help with the overnight parking .. have only done daytrips up there. Did you call the park up and ask ?

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=454

elliottwill

by elliottwill » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks so much for the helpful info. When we pulled off I-5 at what I think is Soda Creek, there was a green gate and a sign for the PCT. On the gate was a No Parking sign. Is this where you mean? The snow started where you crest the ridge leading to Castle Dome. It's firm and easy walking.

rhyang

by rhyang » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Driving by on Saturday morning on the way to Shasta, the upper Crags looked a bit more snow-free from the highway. It was a pretty warm weekend. I get the impression the next set of storms will just bring rain to that elevation.

Cosmic Wall and Six Toe Crack here we come :)

SiskiyouYeti

Current Castle Dome Trail Conditions?

by SiskiyouYeti » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:19 pm

Does anyone know the current conditions of the Castle Dome trail, considering this weeks' precipitation? I'm hoping to get in a quick trip up the trail tomorrow morning (Saturday, May 1) but haven't been able to ascertain whether or not sufficient snow remains to hinder a simple hike. Note: a call to the park (and a message left) hasn't yet yielded any information...

SiskiyouYeti

by SiskiyouYeti » Mon May 03, 2010 7:34 pm

Trail condition = totally passable on Saturday, May 1. There were a few spots of snow in the last half-mile, but nothing that was a problem. There are, however, a lot of downed trees in the lower parts of the trail that need to be cleared.

rockclimbingtools

by rockclimbingtools » Wed May 05, 2010 1:37 am

Screw camping at the crags, too damn noisy! Drive about 3 or 4 miles past entrance to free camping anywhere off the road.

rhyang

by rhyang » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:59 pm

That advice worked for us. Had a great couple of days climbing there -

Cosmic Wall

Castle Dome

Six Toe Crack

Looked like Monday was a great day for climbing Mt. Shasta -

Full set here.

SKI

by SKI » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:44 am

Thanks Rob!
Great pics

no avatar
asweeney

Re: Castle Crags camping hassle

by asweeney » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi Elliott,

I can't seem to figure out how to send you a private message. I was wondering if you would be willing to allow use of your photo for a brochure for a Wilderness Rendevous in Red Bluff, CA - in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Wilderness Act. Would you please email lavo_information@nps.gov if you would be willing to allow us to use the photo with credit?

Thank you!
Amanda

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:08 pm

asweeney wrote:Hi Elliott,

I can't seem to figure out how to send you a private message. I was wondering if you would be willing to allow use of your photo for a brochure for a Wilderness Rendevous in Red Bluff, CA - in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Wilderness Act. Would you please email lavo_information@nps.gov if you would be willing to allow us to use the photo with credit?

Thank you!
Amanda

Go to his profile to find the function for sending a PM. If you tried that before and it didn't work, try again; I just changed a setting on your account that should enable you to have access to the full site features.

Note that he was last on the site on February 3, so you might want to use the email function in addition.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

Bubba Suess

by Bubba Suess » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:24 pm

asweeney wrote:Hi Elliott,

Thank you!
Amanda

Just out of curiosity, what kind of things are planned for the rendezvous?

Next

Return to California