central nevada hiking

Find climbing partners in the Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX).
no avatar
argali

central nevada hiking

by argali » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:08 am

hi im interested in central nevada mt callaghan ,roberts creek mtn diamond pk for hiking . i wish to avoid atvs if possible or maybe i should stick too the wilderness areas arc dome, toquima or the rubies? any advice thanks argali

McCannster

Re: central nevada hiking

by McCannster » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:15 pm

Check out user Dean's contributions. He has probably hiked the most peaks in central NV out of anyone on this site.

jfrishmanIII

Re: central nevada hiking

by jfrishmanIII » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:57 pm

My advice would be to go where you want and not worry about ATVs. Sure, you may see one once in a while, but it's a big state and the areas you're talking about are awfully remote and obscure. You're likely to be on your own out there most of the time.

On the other hand, the wilderness areas are great, there's tons of good hiking to be had in them. You can also research Wilderness Study Areas (WSAs), which are theoretically off-limits to vehicles, though those closures may not always be respected. Roberts Creek Mountain is a WSA, for instance. http://www.nevadawilderness.org/by_area_region is a good place to start, with a good map by your side. Oddly, the DeLorme gazetteer for Nevada shows BLM WSAs, and is a useful resource for that alone, though I can't really recommend it otherwise.

Wherever you go, have fun! The Nevada outback is a great place, and solitude is very easy to find out there.

Return to US - Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)