Clear Creak or Wintun Ridge for my 1st shasta atempt?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
cmoor29

Clear Creak or Wintun Ridge for my 1st shasta atempt?

by cmoor29 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:38 am

I have been using this site for the past 3 years since my move from the flat lands of Nebraska. It has been a major help. As I have been gaining mountain experience and general fitness living in the fantastic northwest I want to try my first big mountain. I want to use the clear creek trail head for this attempt. I have been to about 9500 feet on the clear creek and loved that hike I just don't know which route is the better from that point. I plan on doing it in late Aug. early Sept. doing a 9-10,000 camp day one, then summit and back to the trail head day 2. So far this year I have done McLaughlin 3 times, Thielsen, South sister (std route), Mt Saint Helen's, and a lot of little stuff so scree is nothing new. I am in pretty good shape, but lack a lot of real mountain experience. Of the 2 routes which is the best (and by that I mean the most solid with the least potential rock fall). Any other advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

mrchad9

Re: Clear Creak or Wintun Ridge for my 1st shasta atempt?

by mrchad9 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:18 am

I'm glad you've enjoyed the site!

The normal camp on those routes as you may know is at about 8200 feet or so, though there are bivy sites higher. I can't comment too much beyond specific locations of bivy sites beyond what I included on the Clear Creek route page. I suspect snow for melting to water is more available on Wintun Ridge. It can collect in drifts around there.

That aside, I'd would recommend ascending Wintun Ridge. Neither route is subject to much rockfall... Any rocks just bury into the scree. Also both will be almost entirely snow free... Clear Creek maybe even completely. But Wintun ridge is more likely to have some within reach if that is your preference. Main factor is Wintun Ridge is by far the most solid, and until at least 12000 feet will be a nice solid hike even without snow. Clear Creek is just a hill of pebbles. If you camp low enough I'd go up Wintun, down Clear Creek... Otherwise descend however you need to reach camp conveniently.

The following user would like to thank mrchad9 for this post
Burchey, cmoor29

Return to California