Climbing in Belgium

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
cabouckaert1

Climbing in Belgium

by cabouckaert1 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:16 pm

I live in Belgium and have recently gotten interested in climbing, particularly alpinism. I've decided to go climb Mt. Elbrus this summer together with a group of friends (with a guide company). I am good physical condition, however, my climbing experience is limited to artificial climbing walls on occasion and climbing a mountain in Oregon, USA once (with crampons and ice axe), but it was a long time ago.

Anyways, I would like to do some climbing before this summer, both for fun and for practice, but don't really have time to go the alps I think. I guess that would be the closest mid-high altitude climbing to Belgium? Otherwise if anyone knows of some some good (fairly basic) rock climbing or anything in or close to Belgium that would be helpful too.

Also, does anyone know of good stores that sell climbing equipment in Belgium? I've looked on the internet, but in typical Belgian fashion there are no on-line stores or any helpful information. Thanks.

Sebastian Hamm

by Sebastian Hamm » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:04 pm

The Online-Store of Globetrotter delivers to Belgium for 7,60 Euro per order. This is cheap.

http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/index.php

Infos about the shipping costs.
http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/liefer_service_eu_de.php

I wish you luck at Elbrus. In your case, I would train my physical condition for the summit ascent. It takes ~8-10 hours up and ~4 hours down! I think it could be very strenous in a height over 5.000m. ;-)

Greets from Köln/Bonn
Sebastian

cabouckaert1

by cabouckaert1 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:04 pm

Thanks alot. Nice site.

-charles

Bart

by Bart » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:07 am

As you live in Belgium I would definately also get in as much outdoor climbing experience as possible. Go to Freyr, Beez, Les Awirs, Dave... etcetera! Of course outdoor rock climbing in Belgium is not comparable to climbing Elbrus but it will familiarize you with the ropework, making belays, abseiling and other gear.
Besides that... start running or cycling to get your general fitness level up and perhaps work on your strength in a gym or such. If you live in a flat or have one nearby I find that running up the stairs makes a good excercise for alpine climbing as well!

Hope this helps,

Bart

Xim

by Xim » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:32 am

For basic gear you have two chain-stores in Belgium, I think: AS Adventure and Decathlon.

For finding specialized gear-shops, one idea is to check some good manufacturer`s web and look at their dealer-list.

For practising: You have the alps reasonable close! I have belgian freinds who take the car over the weekend (to France or Switzerland) climb a mountain, and than back to work!

tommi

by tommi » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:55 am

For equipment have a look at this page, delivering the whole EU. For infos about the shipping costs to Belgium ask per mail.
Its only high end equipment, maybe you need somethig special for Elbrus you can find here.
Good luck and I wish a nice trip

http://www.pathfinder-equipment.de/

desainme

by desainme » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:31 pm

You might go climbing in the Suedpfalz. I checked on the map and it's only 160 miles from Liege to Saarbrucken and then another 30 miles to Reichenbach. There is a large page about the Suedpfalz on SP. 8)

Koen

by Koen » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:54 pm

Since we both speak Flemish, I'll continue in that language.

In de Ardennen mogelijkheden genoeg om te gaan klimmen: Yvoir, Durnal, Marche-les-dames, ... Andere zijn hierboven al genoemd. Freyr is al tamelijk zwaar als je geen afgeklommen routes wil klimmen.

Ik weet niet wat je kennis/vaardigheden nu zijn wat klimmen betreft. Als je enkel ervaring hebt in klimzalen, kan ik je enkel aanraden een rotsklimcursus te volgen bij één van de bergsportfederaties in België, dat zijn de VBSF, BAC en Natuurvrienden Bergstijgers. Als je alpiene tochten wilt doen (zoals uiteindelijk de Elbrus), kun je bij hen ook degelijke cursussen alpinisme volgen.

Als fysieke voorbereiding op de Elbrus: veel trainen op uithouding en dit rustig opbouwen. Vb. lopen, zwemmen, fietsen en zoveel mogelijk lange tochten maken in de Ardennen met veel hoogteverschil, uiteindelijk als je kan ook met dezelfde belasting (rugzak) als je vr de Elbrus zult mee hebben. Op de hoogte kun je je sowieso niet voorbereiden, daarvoor moet je acclimatiseren.

Specifieke info over cursussen bij de natuurvrienden bergstijgers kan ik je geven als je dat wil (ben nl. lid) - stuur me gerust een pm.

You can buy climbing gear at relatively good prices at Decathlon (Antwerp, Roeselare or Lille in France). For you, also the indoor climbing hall Blueberry Hill in Kortrijk isn't far away and they have a well equipped shop at good prices. But the best place to be for us Belgians to buy gear is at Vieux Campeur in Paris, which isn't too far away.

Good luck!
Koen

cabouckaert1

by cabouckaert1 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:47 pm

Thank you all very much, this is very helpful information. Later.

-charles

Return to Europe