Cloud Peak weather

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
minormi

Cloud Peak weather

by minormi » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:40 pm

The NWS reports that the low temperature in the 48 mainland states on 12 Sep 2014 was 4 degrees F at Cloud Peak. NWS guidelines for temperature eligibility state that "the elevation must not be above 8,500 feet and the location must have a population of more than 1,000"--although Death Valley generally is reporting the high daily temperature most summer days. Does anyone know where there is a temperature monitor on Cloud Peak?

WyomingSummits

Re: Cloud Peak weather

by WyomingSummits » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:09 am

minormi wrote:The NWS reports that the low temperature in the 48 mainland states on 12 Sep 2014 was 4 degrees F at Cloud Peak. NWS guidelines for temperature eligibility state that "the elevation must not be above 8,500 feet and the location must have a population of more than 1,000"--although Death Valley generally is reporting the high daily temperature most summer days. Does anyone know where there is a temperature monitor on Cloud Peak?

If you are talking about Cloud Peak WY then I'd say no.....I've never seen one. That being said, there are plenty of data monitors outside of your parameters in the Bighorns. I would believe that temp. That was around the time that we got 4" of snow around 5k in elevation. Daytime high was 36. That would make the daytime high on Cloud around 12-24 degrees. Low could have def been 4.

The following user would like to thank WyomingSummits for this post
minormi

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:01 am

There is a weather station at Cloud Peak Reservoir which often records some very cold temperatures. It is at 9860 feet. I have seen it sometimes labeled as "Cloud Peak" even though it is really at Cloud Peak Reservoir rather than the top of the mountain.

My guess is that that is the station they are referring to, or one nearby.

Incidentally, the SNOTEL site says it was 2F on September 12. The 4F could have been reported before the 2F was recorded as is often the case. It may have been a nearby station as well, but my guess is that they are referring to the one at the reservoir.

NWS guidelines for temperature eligibility state that "the elevation must not be above 8,500 feet and the location must have a population of more than 1,000"--although Death Valley generally is reporting the high daily temperature most summer days.

That's supposedly the official "rule", but it seems to be bent rather frequently, either by design or by mistake. I've often seen places like Bryce Canyon UT, Grand Canyon AZ, Bodie (or Bodie State Park) CA, Lake Yellowstone WY, and Stanley ID on the list even though they don't meet the 1000 population requirement. I've also seen Fraser CO and Leadville CO on the list even though they are above 8500 feet.

The occasional SNOTEL reading gets on the list as well (which could be the case here). I've seen SNOTEL stations listed too, even though no one lives at these and they often get the names wrong. For example, I've seen places like Norway Flats listed as the coldest place in the nation on some days. Norway Flats is a SNOTEL site in the Uinta Mountains and no one lives there. White Mountain, California is also listed sometimes, but no one lives there either; it's just a weather station near the tops of the mountains (and is over 8500 feet as well). Sometimes Mt Charleston is listed as well.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
minormi

WyomingSummits

by WyomingSummits » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:21 pm

Scott wrote:There is a weather station at Cloud Peak Reservoir which often records some very cold temperatures. It is at 9860 feet. I have seen it sometimes labeled as "Cloud Peak" even though it is really at Cloud Peak Reservoir rather than the top of the mountain.

My guess is that that is the station they are referring to, or one nearby.

Incidentally, the SNOTEL site says it was 2F on September 12. The 4F could have been reported before the 2F was recorded as is often the case. It may have been a nearby station as well, but my guess is that they are referring to the one at the reservoir.

NWS guidelines for temperature eligibility state that "the elevation must not be above 8,500 feet and the location must have a population of more than 1,000"--although Death Valley generally is reporting the high daily temperature most summer days.

That's supposedly the official "rule", but it seems to be bent rather frequently, either by design or by mistake. I've often seen places like Bryce Canyon UT, Grand Canyon AZ, Bodie (or Bodie State Park) CA, Lake Yellowstone WY, and Stanley ID on the list even though they don't meet the 1000 population requirement. I've also seen Fraser CO and Leadville CO on the list even though they are above 8500 feet.

The occasional SNOTEL reading gets on the list as well (which could be the case here). I've seen SNOTEL stations listed too, even though no one lives at these and they often get the names wrong. For example, I've seen places like Norway Flats listed as the coldest place in the nation on some days. Norway Flats is a SNOTEL site in the Uinta Mountains and no one lives there. White Mountain, California is also listed sometimes, but no one lives there either; it's just a weather station near the tops of the mountains (and is over 8500 feet as well). Sometimes Mt Charleston is listed as well.

Yeah, it's prob the snotel data being referenced. Cloud Peak red, powder river pass, soldier park, are all above 8500 or right around there. I usually calculate temps by using a 2.2 degree drop for every thousand feet....and then use the weather in Sheridan or Buffalo as my base. It usually gets me withing 5-8 degrees of the actual temp.

The following user would like to thank WyomingSummits for this post
minormi

no avatar
minormi

by minormi » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:02 pm

I agree with the poster who noted that the NWS occasionally/frequently "violates" its guidelines. Death Valley is the most usual "violator" and Stanley ID (population 63 and falling) frequently has the lowest temperature in the Summer (it is in a particularly beautiful valley--I visited there one Summer just to check it out). Thanks for the responses.

Return to General