comfortable big rockshoes?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
kiwiw

comfortable big rockshoes?

by kiwiw » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:51 pm

anyone out there with size 14 feet whose found a pair of all day comfortable rockshoes?
I have a pair of stretched out size 13 moccosyns that are almost too wide for my feet, but I get blisters on my toes if I wear them too long, I also have a pair of madrock flashes, 14, and have the same problem.

anyone?

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:28 am

I'm a size 14, or size 48 Euro. I use the FiveTen Hueco and the Anasazi slip-on. The slip-on is a half size smaller (13-1/2). Both are very comfortable for all day use and I really like the sticky-ness of the FiveTen rubber... Seems to grip better than most. I was thinking about getting some Acopa JB's next... or some Legends. They seem nice, no idea how durable they are though. Having big feet is a bitch when it comes to climbing shoes (and mountaineering boots). Good luck.

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:33 pm

my size 14 gunboats have worn the following shoes:
Evolv Defy
Red Chili something-or-others with three velcro straps
Evolv Evo

I think the Red Chilis were slightly more comfortable.

rpc

by rpc » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:57 pm

I have a pair of these Acopas:

http://www.acopausa.com/product.jsp?nav ... &content=6

sure are comfy. Bachar's old company has a lot of models in large sizes (14 & 15). I also like this pair of Madrocks...less comfy but nicer (IMHO) edging...I forget the model name, they're orange :) & come in sizes 14 & 15 as well. Good luck.

PS I've used some of the low end 5.10's that come in large sizes...definitely comfy, performance...probably OK.

EDIT IN: I've used those EVOLV's mentioned above...great shoe, only downside is horrendous stench after some use - I mean beyond how a normal old rock shoe smells...something in the fabric/glue perhaps. I've retired like 4 pairs (in good shape too) as I could not stand it anymore (stuffing newpapers into them after use etc... does little to help this problem) - but a well performing, comfy large shoe IMHO.

achiral

by achiral » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:04 pm

La Sportiva Cliff or Mythos. (Although the last pair of Clifs I got I gave away. They were no longer made in Italy, the last seemed to have changed, and the rubber had an extreme stench that didn't go away even after a few months of storage.)

Both come in larger sizes, are leather so will stretch and conform to foot width, and are also laced vs. slip-on or velcro to add more width adjustability. They probably won't work well for higher-volume feet or for someone with a wider heel.

I wear 48 street shoes and find a 46 to fit well (maybe even a bit loose) for all day climbing.

I've always found the heel pocket on 5.10s to be way too deep (loose heel and cuts into the achilles tendon) and Evolvs are too high volume and seem to have less width and too pointed of a toebox.

no avatar
nhluhr

by nhluhr » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:38 pm

achiral wrote:La Sportiva Cliff or Mythos. (Although the last pair of Clifs I got I gave away. They were no longer made in Italy, the last seemed to have changed, and the rubber had an extreme stench that didn't go away even after a few months of storage.)

Both come in larger sizes, are leather so will stretch and conform to foot width, and are also laced vs. slip-on or velcro to add more width adjustability. They probably won't work well for higher-volume feet or for someone with a wider heel.

I wear 48 street shoes and find a 46 to fit well (maybe even a bit loose) for all day climbing.

I've always found the heel pocket on 5.10s to be way too deep (loose heel and cuts into the achilles tendon) and Evolvs are too high volume and seem to have less width and too pointed of a toebox.
Your descriptions make it sound like I have the same size/shape feet as you. I will have to try the Mythos.

Return to General