Conditions - San Juans

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the U.S. Rocky Mountains. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Colorado Climbing Partners section.
Andinistaloco

Conditions - San Juans

by Andinistaloco » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:57 pm

Hey, CO folks - could use a word or two of advice.

As my usual haunts are on fire, I'm heading up to SW CO for the weekend. Taking a rather novice/intermediate hiker who has little in the way of winter gear (no crampons or gaiters or snowshoes) so we'd have to find something where the conditions are more mellow. I had three thoughts:

1 - Ice Lakes Basin. But I've heard that snow stays pretty late in there, and this was a heavy snowfall year.

2 - heading up Uncompaghre. Anyone know the conditions there and on the approach road?

3 - Ditto for Wilson Peak /Gladstone/ El Diente. I've been there before but it was later in the season. Conditions? Approach?

Thanks in advance for the help....

no avatar
MtnHermit

by MtnHermit » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:05 pm

I just came back from the Cunningham - CD - Highland Mary Lakes loop. The TH is 10,800 and I topped at 12,500 on the CD. Camped at a lake on the CD at ~12,500, grass and a few flowers. While I crossed a few snowfields, all were consolidated, so no gaiters. Nicest part aside from the incredible views, no insects. Go for it!!!

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:12 am

Thanks, MtnHermit.

...and, wow. No one's been to any of those places recently?

steppendonk

by steppendonk » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:57 pm

I climbed Black Bear Peak 13,500' just west of Red Mountain Pass with my daughter Thursday. A walkup with incredible views of Telluride and the Sneffels range. Very mellow conditions all the way. She did fine on the snow in light trail boots with no ice axe, though gaiters were useful.

miztflip

by miztflip » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:16 pm

Climbed 17 peaks between Lake City and Silverton last weekend. Could see all the mentioned areas and talked to a few people that have been to them. Shouldn't have any problems with snow. Almost all of it is avoidable now (exception might be Ice Lake Area) and it's still really warm and melting fast.

skorpeo

by skorpeo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:52 pm

I hiked Unc yesterday. The road is quite steep. I did it with a stock Suzuki XL7 and had no problems. The road is being fixed right now. There was equipment on the road. There are many spots I would not want to meet people on.

The trail is pretty much snow free.

Gorgeous hike.

Any other questions?

Andinistaloco

by Andinistaloco » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:44 pm

Much better... was starting to worry that no one was out hiking! Thanks for the advice folks - headed up as soon as I pack the last few things and finish this bloody mary. :wink:

skorpeo wrote:I hiked Unc yesterday. The road is quite steep. I did it with a stock Suzuki XL7 and had no problems. The road is being fixed right now. There was equipment on the road. There are many spots I would not want to meet people on.

Which road? There are a couple trailheads if I recall correctly.

Return to Colorado