Cordillera Blanca Trip Report

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
hhsilleck

by hhsilleck » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:27 am

Hi everybody who might be interested - I've just posted a trip report from my summer's trip to the Cordillera Blanca with lots of pictures and descriptions of our climbs up Vallunaraju, Tocllaraju, Pisco, Chopicalqui, and up to col camp on Alpamayo. If you're interested, please check it out and let me know if you have any suggestions or comments!

The link is

Cheers,
Howie

:D

Haliku

by Haliku » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:23 pm

Great now I have to be depressed looking at more of your excellent photography.... :wink: Great job! Cheers!

no avatar
aierez

conditions

by aierez » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:34 pm

based on your experience...were the snow conditions favorable this year? How do you think September will be up there?

hhsilleck

Re: conditions

by hhsilleck » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:19 am

aierez wrote:based on your experience...were the snow conditions favorable this year? How do you think September will be up there?

Conditions were ideal for the most part, with the exception of higher up on Chopicalqui, where we struggled a bit to stay away from deep and moderately unstable powder. It's been a while since we were there, though, so I can't really say with any amount of accuracy how things look now. Hope it goes well for you!
Cheers,
Howie

hhsilleck

by hhsilleck » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:20 am

Haliku wrote:Great now I have to be depressed looking at more of your excellent photography.... :wink: Great job! Cheers!

Thanks so much Haliku!
Howie

iceisnice

by iceisnice » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:25 pm

What is the latest news on the restrictions i heard they were going to impose?

hhsilleck

by hhsilleck » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:22 pm

iceisnice wrote:What is the latest news on the restrictions i heard they were going to impose?

It seems to me that they are not enforcing these restrictions this year - we met numerous independent groups traveling without guides. Nobody in Huaraz seemed to know there were supposed to be restrictions, either. Strange?!
Howie

Return to South America