Current Pyramid Peak Conditions...

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
yosemiteforlife67

Current Pyramid Peak Conditions...

by yosemiteforlife67 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:36 am

Hello out there, i just wanted to know if anyone may have been up to Pyramid peak(desolation wilderness area) recently. I am thinking of possibly hiking it in the next few weeks and wondered how bad the snow might be. Last year i took the rocky canyon route in august, but this time I was thinking of taking the lyons creek trail, and then doing some cross country up the west ridge up to the top. Any information on the conditons up there and also routes that would be attainable this time of year , would be very helful. Thanks in advance.

ElGreco

Re: Current Pyramid Peak Conditions...

by ElGreco » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:41 am

I haven't been up Pyramid recently, but I saw it from a distance from Round Top last week. The S side looks quite brown, with some white thrown in. If you stick to the ridge and SW-S-SE aspects, my guess is that you will not be on snow for now. I think it's the peak on the top right of the photo in the distance:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/t ... directlink

It's so much more fun with snow though! Good luck.

yosemiteforlife67

Re: Current Pyramid Peak Conditions...

by yosemiteforlife67 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:03 am

thanks for that info, and sorry i had not acknowleded that. i just summited pyramid peak today. I should mention, for anyone who might be venturing into that area and who might want to hike it.....go for it! For now, the lower part of the trail, is free of snow, but about halfway up, you start to run into some snow and ice on the trail, once you get to the upper section of rocky canyon, be advised to stay to the right to avoid the slippery snow and ice. The saddle that leads up to the rock scramble to the top, only had patches of snow here and there. The rocks leading to the top are about....99.9% clear of snow, literally only a few very small patches. It was cold and windy and we did have to trudge through some snow and ice, but well worth it! Until the next snow, this hike is highly recommended!!!! Happy hiking!! ....Eric.

Return to California