Deaths in the Cordillera Blanca

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
msumountainman

Deaths in the Cordillera Blanca

by msumountainman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:25 am

I just returned to Huaraz after climbing Tocllaraju on Saturday. Sadly, 3 people died from a fall on Tocllaraju yesterday. I´m not positive, but I believe they were from Belgium. They were two men and one woman and appeared in their mid to late 20´s. I talked to them very briefly on Saturday as they asked to take our tent spots while we were packing up to head down to base camp.

They seemed very nice and genuinely excited about their climb ahead. It´s very tragic to see such young lives cut short. My deepest condolensces to their family and friends.

I also heard that a little over a week ago a Japanese climber and his Peruvian guide died in an avalanche in the gargantua on Huascaran.

I´m curious to find out more about these incidents myself, so perhaps someone can find more info and post it here.

Climb on and stay safe everyone!

Haliku

by Haliku » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:36 am

Thread posted about the Japanese climber...
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47282

RIP

eferesen

by eferesen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:47 am

That is indeed sad news. RIP

WouterB

by WouterB » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:02 am

Ah, I posted this in the Europe part of the site, as they were indeed Belgian. More info can be found in that thread. Eventhough not much is known at this point.

Return to South America