Desert Water Agency (DWA) property

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
hikin_jim

Re: Desert Water Agency (DWA) property

by hikin_jim » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:17 pm

I got a response back from Ms. Hoggan indicating that "Structure 1" in my letter (previously posted here) is not operated by the DWA. She had to have read my letter in detail to have understood which structure I was talking about, so it looks like they're taking comments seriously.

HJ

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:09 am

hikin_jim wrote:I got a response back from Ms. Hoggan indicating that "Structure 1" in my letter (previously posted here) is not operated by the DWA. She had to have read my letter in detail to have understood which structure I was talking about, so it looks like they're taking comments seriously.

HJ

Wow Jim, I just read you letter in detail. They SHOULD take you seriously. Good work!

no avatar
willytinawin

by willytinawin » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:13 am

Great letter Jim. It's always refreshing to see someone question authority.

no avatar
escapesociety

by escapesociety » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:56 pm

I live near the area, one canyon over (windy point, blaisdell canyon). Ive never hiked up the canyon but have spent lots of time in the delta floor area where you first turn onto snow creek road from the 111. I was (almost) harassed by DWA a couple days ago when I was there. What I mean by that is they followed me down the road and took pictures of my car. Now, I was in an area that is definitely not their property, but it also has some signs to try and deter traffic in the area. The signs say "no off highway vehicles" and shows little icons of a dirt bike and a jeep. Now, the thing is that OHV specifically means non-street-legal vehicles. Also, there are no signs in that area that say no trespassing, and if you drive into the wash there are more signs that say to stay on designated roads (in this case, sandy washes that run throughout the basin). Further up Snow Creek road (maybe a quarter mile from the village) next to one of their buildings on the left, there are no tresspassing and no motorized vehicle signs, as well as fence and security cameras in plain sight. I don't intend to tresspass on their property, and I've been doing a lot of research to make sure I don't accidentally do that. The problem is that they are using scare tactics to keep people away from property that they have no right to restric access to. One resident of snow creek told my friend that DWA doesn't actually own any land, that they only are leasing the water rights, and technically can't tell you you're not allowed to be on the land. I'm not sure how true that is, but my family used to lease water rights from the govt for a natural spring that was on adjacent land. The govt grants a lease for the water only, as well as issued the lease holders easement to access the property. Therefore, they don't own the land and the question is: do they really have the right to deny access? Also, the biggest problem is they DO act like they own they all of snow creek, and that is stepping too far. I've always wondered what the REAL issue is... Animals dedicate and die in creeks, and water is purified before we drink it, so I never really believed that excuse. I have another friend who actually knows someone who works up at the snow creek facility and they said they real reason they agency plays hardass is because they've had a lot of vandalism up there, specifically copper pipe theft.

Anyway, just wanted to add my 2 cents. Should I be waiting for a warning in the mail? The guy who photographed me works definite worked for DWA. I'm not really afraid of a ticket because he doesn't have the authority to write one. All he did was follow me up snow creek road after I came out of the wash, taking pictures and looking almighty and self-righteous. It was some old dude with a beard... I didn't stop and let him harass me.... I just continued to loop through the village as he stopped talk to a hiker that was preparing to hit the PCT.

Does anyone know what to expect if I have a run in with one of these people?

Previous

Return to California