Do you trust "thin" rap rings?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
MoapaPk

Do you trust "thin" rap rings?

by MoapaPk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:46 pm

I've used these sometimes:
http://www.rei.com/product/471123/smc-descending-ring

For low-stress raps. They have about the same kilonewton rating as 8mm static rope. I find that most people seem horrified by them, and will go to great lengths to try to back them up.
Last edited by MoapaPk on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pvnisher

Re: Do you trust "thin" trap rings?

by pvnisher » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:24 pm

I haven't used those particular ones, but probably would, if I knew the history of it (ie, someone didn't produce it from a pocket and leave me thinking it was just a piece from the hardware store).
In any rap the weakest link is usually the user.

Scott
Forum Moderator

Re: Do you trust "thin" trap rings?

by Scott » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:32 pm

I have used them often. They are more than adequate for rappelling.

Their disadvantage is that they don't last very long, so if you are on a trade route, leaving something else is preferable.

I believe that you are supposed to use two per rappel as well.

MoapaPk

Re: Do you trust "thin" rap rings?

by MoapaPk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:46 pm

Scott wrote:I believe that you are supposed to use two per rappel as well.

They are described and shown in illustrations as one ring per rap.
http://www.rocknrescue.com/acatalog/SMC ... ngRing.pdf

I guess if I were going to use two every time, I'd just go back to using a single smc rigging/descending ring (which is a lot thicker).

Maybe I'll just go back to steel quicklinks.

asmrz

by asmrz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Used them (still carry them) for years and years. Have had no problems with them. Usually, I would place them myself on routes that I had to get down from. I'm not familiar with these rings on sport climbs or routes that see huge amount of traffic, but in the alpine terrain and in the backcountry I have used them and will use them again. I don't see much of a reason to double them up either, aren't they stronger than Bluewater 9/16" slings? I would double up the slings though...

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:29 pm

I don't see much of a reason to double them up either, aren't they stronger than Bluewater 9/16" slings?

Makes the pull easier and "saws" less (especially) on thin diameter ropes, but if only using them for single use, probably doesn't matter.

They are definitely not made for continuous use:

For single use (or very low use), they are fine.

The following user would like to thank Scott for this post
asmrz

asmrz

by asmrz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:53 pm

Re the above picture, this ring is obviously from an area that gets extreme use. I don't think these rings were designed for extreme use, or sport climbing descents in popular areas, or any extensive rope pull-downs.

Totally different rap anchors need to be used in frequented areas, steel biners, doubled steel rings and the rap/pull down gear needs frequent replacement.

Quite frankly, the picture shows misuse of the gear...

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:09 pm

I use them, backed up with a loop of 1" webbing tied with a beer knot.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:08 pm

What cord is the lightest to use for rappelling? I want to obtain the lightest option for safe raps..

mvs

by mvs » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:37 pm

I have a 50m 6mm static cord that I've used for occasional full rappels, tied in a EDK with a 9.4mm single rope. I'm usually happy when we don't have to use it though! It's in the bottom of the pack, for emergencies. Once you get past something like 5-6 mandatory 50m rappels though, you should really consider doubles or twins for the route. The 6mm line tangles easily, and assuming you are talking about emergency bailing, you might not want to (or be able to) spend a lot of time fixing the line.

I never carry rap rings. I would burn a carabiner if it was really important, but more than 50% of the time I'm a) in a place with some kind of established anchor or b) making a single one-off rappel from a new sling around a tree in a strange place, in which case I'll just pass the rope through the sling. I understand everybody's situation is different, of course.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:42 pm

Vitaliy M. wrote:What cord is the lightest to use for rappelling? I want to obtain the lightest option for safe raps..

What do you plan to use for the rap device? Will you be wearing gloves?
I've rapped off 7mm cord, and a single strand of 15mm tubular (climb-spec) webbing with a munter hitch.

Polyester cord is a bit stronger and stiffer than nylon of the same diameter.

asmrz

by asmrz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:44 pm

For big walls, a rap rope that can also substitute as a leading rope if needed, was the way in the 90s...(burly 11mm)

For alpine, climbing with two ropes was/is the norm, so two 8mm half ropes would do it for me. If you can get thinner half ropes, that would be even better weightwise. I would not have the guts to go with thin twins (7mm or less) and keep rapping with them on really steep terrain.

For cragging, it does not matter...

Maybe somebody with a bit more modern ideas could chime in. I guess people already did.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:17 am

I heard of someone using 6mm cord for raps (with ATC guide). But it broke once. Lots of people use 7mm static supposedly and it is 'bomber.' This set up is usually for soloing that would contain some rappells that are a bit over your head to solo. I guess lightest half rope possible is a good choice..

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:18 am

Lots of people use 7mm static supposedly and it is 'bomber.'

I've seen people use them when canyoneering, if there are no roped climbs, but rappels. If just rapping, you aren't taking falls on the rope, so people can get by with a 7mm static.

One light weight set up is to use a single 8mm to rap off in combination with a 6mm pull cord. Lighter system than a half rope, but that would depend on lengths you needed.

Ben Beckerich

by Ben Beckerich » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:40 am

Vitaliy M. wrote:I heard of someone using 6mm cord for raps (with ATC guide). But it broke once. Lots of people use 7mm static supposedly and it is 'bomber.' This set up is usually for soloing that would contain some rappells that are a bit over your head to solo. I guess lightest half rope possible is a good choice..

I have 30m of 6mm static and a Reversino I bring as bail-support for soloing.. I've rapped off it only once, but I'd do it again.
where am i going... and why am i in this handbasket?

Next

Return to Gear