dragging Significant Others up harrowing trails

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Deb

by Deb » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:52 pm

"Now, I'm planning on dragging my wife up Taboose Pass. Luckily she's a helluva lot tougher than that girlfriend was. Still, I have vague echoes from my memory..."

Dragging? Really? If you've been backpacking/hiking/climbing with her previously, I'm sure you both have a very good idea of what she can/will go for. Why do I get the feeling women are being looked down on as weak and needing coddling in order to hit the trails? BS
If you're both researching and planning logistics on this trip together, you'll both know pretty much what you're in for. No whining required OR allowed!

:roll:

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:01 pm

The last 15 mile hike I went on with a woman, she kicked my ass soundly :lol:

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:06 pm

I've always detested "wining."

fedak

by fedak » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:15 pm

The true test of a relationship is the first outing that goes bad for whatever reason- weather, skeeters, that big hill that wasn't on the map, etc

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:26 pm

MoabPeakBagger wrote:ahhhhh you all, I was being quite tongue-in-cheek. My wife is a VERY tough broad, she's hiked 100 miles on the JMT; gone over Lamarck Pass from Evolution (and then hitchhiked to Lone Pine) in a day; hiked down the Paria Canyon; winter-camped in a blizzard in Rock Creek; epic'ed with me on 10 pitch, 20 rappel, 16-hour madness in the Wasatch; rappelled down the Subway; and all while still lookin' hot and keeping her composure.

She'll be fine.

The whole chain of events just got me reminiscing... to the last time... with a much less tough lady... and the negative events that ensued. And I wanted some folks to commiserate with. She'll be fine.

well, I guess she'll be more than fine then. Why did you ask then? :) Or maybe she will be testing you :)

SoCalHiker

by SoCalHiker » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:29 pm

EnragedTroll wrote:Here is a novel idea: why don't you find better significant others, failfags?

... because we all are still looking for the one who cannot speak one sentence without using obscenities, Toxo.... :)

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:43 pm

fatdad wrote:Take this in the spirit in which it was intended, but dude, you're an idiot. Wouldn't a better plan be to take her somewhere more accessible and with scenery that's a lot easier to earn? Maybe that way she may actually want to go with you in the future and, as a result, have her own motivation for wanting to do bigger, harder objectives. I mean, if you see a bad result coming (and you clearly do as evidenced by this post) then why even go there. You don't invite a non-runner to go jogging with you and then tell them they'll be doing a half marathon.

+1

Your wife may being very capable of doing the proposed hike and so this message is not directed at you personally, but Fatdad's point is no less true. If you ever want your S.O. to go with you again, then you'd best be sure to plan a trip that they will enjoy for their first outing. If it's a bad experience for her, she will never go with you again!

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:47 pm

Me thinks we should call in Doctor Phil on this one :

finckster

by finckster » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:18 pm

My boyfriend is a good sport, and didn't whine even after I once hiked him to the point of puking.

On the other hand, his first snow camping trip was less successful. I don't think he'll agree to that again, but I claim he only had a bad time because he just happened to get swine flu during that trip.

rasgoat

by rasgoat » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:35 pm

I hate it when they cry

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:39 pm

That's what tissues are for.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:42 pm

and earplugs

no avatar
axisofevil

by axisofevil » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:47 pm

You all focussed only on the hike itself.

Don't underestimate the power of the post-epic rewards:

nice dinner, hot tub, massage, lots of praise for how awesome she ( he ) did on that 'PRETTY DANG HARD' hike while mentioning how heavy her ( his ) pack was [ ideally in front of your friends ], lots of pictures on the refrigerator, a follow up trip to a bed & breakfast with croissants....

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:54 pm

My wife used to think going on vacation meant sitting around the pool and having hot showers and room service. When I bought my -40F bag for Denali she told me no one in their right mind needed a -40F bag. After I climbed Mount Washington one January she wanted to try (her decision) so up we went the next winter. She got hooked on climbing and took off out west for some alpine climbing courses. We've been climbing together ever since. I keep asking her when I'll get to go down south and sit around the pool smoking cigars? Doesn't look like it's gonna happen anytime soon!

Oh, and guess who has a better -40F sleeping bag than me now. :lol:

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:58 pm

MoabPeakBagger wrote:ahhhhh you all, I was being quite tongue-in-cheek. My wife is a VERY tough broad, she's hiked 100 miles on the JMT; gone over Lamarck Pass from Evolution (and then hitchhiked to Lone Pine) in a day; hiked down the Paria Canyon; winter-camped in a blizzard in Rock Creek; epic'ed with me on 10 pitch, 20 rappel, 16-hour madness in the Wasatch; rappelled down the Subway; and all while still lookin' hot and keeping her composure.

She'll be fine.

The whole chain of events just got me reminiscing... to the last time... with a much less tough lady... and the negative events that ensued. And I wanted some folks to commiserate with. She'll be fine.

My wife helped build the JMT, hiked the entire length of the PCT in less than 60 days then hitched hike back to New Foundland in order to help build the AT, then did that in less than 40 days then hitched hiked a plane ride to Hanoi to help build the Ho Chi Minh Trail, then did that without getting here ass blown up by an Arc Light Bombing raid in less than 75 days, then hitched a plane ride to Karachi to help rebuild the Silk Route Trail, did that and then......

Who gives a rats ass what your wife can or can't do.

Post a TR when you're done and let's see some pics cuz it sounds like she is gonna be the on doing all the dragigng of your ass all over the Eastern Sierra.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeees Louieeeeeeeeeeees!

BTW: I never drag my Wife any where. She comes with me on her own accord and sets the pace, not I. That way she enjoys the trip and doesn't feel like she is being dragged any where.

PreviousNext

Return to California