Easter Climbing in the Alps

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
BigLee

Easter Climbing in the Alps

by BigLee » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:31 am

Hi, I'm considering climbing in the Alps around Easter time. I know this is out of season but is climbing possible and what are the conditions like? Can anybody recommend some suitable peaks? I want to climb something around Alpine grade AD/D. Most of my climbing has been done in Asia so my knowledge of the Alps is relatively poor unfortunately. I'm looking for something with relatively easy access with cheap flight connections (e.g. Zurich). Sorry for the vagueness. Any advice much appreciated. Cheers, Big Lee

no avatar
Thmue

by Thmue » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:14 pm

Hello,
There is a lot of snow as of now and there is some more announced. So consider an approach on ski. You find S-faces in the Alpstein at Altmann or at the Churfirsten (Walensee, east of Zürich), but the ascent to the foot of the walls may be avalanche-prone
at least for the Churfirsten. Brüggler in the same region is more a sportsclimbing face.
Good rock You will find also at Göschener Alp in the Gotthard area - you need ski at Easter.

Rgds
thomas

Return to Europe