El Capitan numbers

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Charlie Polecat

El Capitan numbers

by Charlie Polecat » Wed May 25, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi, I am writing an article on women in endurance sports. I want to include the numbers of climbers who have successfully climbed El Capitan in Yosemite and of this number how many were women. Does anyone have these figures or know where I can find them? Thanks.

ExcitableBoy

Re: El Capitan numbers

by ExcitableBoy » Wed May 25, 2016 11:01 pm

By any route, including the descent trail?

no avatar
Charlie Polecat

by Charlie Polecat » Thu May 26, 2016 12:48 am

It probably doesn't matter since I am looking for raw numbers as a comparison between the genders. The premise of the article is why so many more men than women take up endurance activities. Thanks.

mstender

by mstender » Thu May 26, 2016 1:55 am

Charlie Polecat wrote:The premise of the article is why so many more men than women take up endurance activities.

So why not look at data that should be easily accessible like participant lists of marathons, triathlons or other ultra events? Or Everest or other high mountain summiteers?

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu May 26, 2016 2:22 am

I've done a lot of rock climbing, aid climbing, big wall climbing etc., and I never considered it to be an endurance type of sport. I trail run, compete in ultra marathons, alpine climb, go mountaineering, all of which I would consider to be endurance sports. So, basically, mstender is correct. Stats like climbers who attempt Mt Rainier, Denali, participants in ultra marathons, triathlons and so forth are both more easily accessible and more accurately targeted towards endurance athletes.

no avatar
Charlie Polecat

by Charlie Polecat » Thu May 26, 2016 2:07 pm

So why not look at data that should be easily accessible like participant lists of marathons, triathlons or other ultra events? Or Everest or other high mountain summiteers?

I've already got those, thanks,

no avatar
Charlie Polecat

by Charlie Polecat » Thu May 26, 2016 2:08 pm

jesu, joy of man's desiring wrote:Go to supertopo.com and ask "Yosemite Valley climbing historians" Clint Cummins and Steve Grossman, on the Climber's Forum

I'm sure they can give you a very rough estimate of femmes who have climbed El Capitan, since 1959 (excluding the East Buttress route)

Will do, thanks.

fatdad

by fatdad » Thu May 26, 2016 10:05 pm

This thesis strikes me a trying to put a round peg in a square hole. On what basis are you characterizing climbing El Cap as an "endurance activity"? Have you climbed it? Do you rock climb? If not, I'm wondering how you draw this into the same category as other well accepted examples of endurance activities such as marathons, triathlons, etc.? Having done El Cap a few times, and having done longer duathlons (I"m a lousy swimmer) and a half marathon, I don't find them remotely similar.

Return to California