Elbrus in winter

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Reese506

Elbrus in winter

by Reese506 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:57 pm

Hello, I was wondering what is all of your opinions on attempting Mt. Elbrus in winter?

I am already in Russia and transportation to the area isn't a problem. Do they physically close it down and not let people up there until the season officially starts? Is an expert guide kinda mandatory? I'm wanting to do this over the 10 days I get for Christmas break.

no avatar
Reese506

Re: Elbrus in winter

by Reese506 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:35 am

I'll be going with 3 guys.

Is there anywhere to rent some equipment like crampons? Is the hotel at the bottom open for business? Do we have to reserve a barrel hut in advance? What red tape is there?

Poncherelo

Re: Elbrus in winter

by Poncherelo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:18 pm

Hello Reeses506,
As I said in an other post about Elbrus, I have been in contact with Ivan, certified mountain guide from Russia and expert of the Elbrus area. You can get in touch with him to ask your questions and for support (in case you would need guiding assistance). Here is his page https://www.explore-share.com/p/625-ivan. Good luck and have fun there !

Return to Europe