Elbrus winter ascent

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Thrusthamster

Elbrus winter ascent

by Thrusthamster » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:58 pm

I read on this forum once a suggestion to climb Elbrus in winter to prepare for an Everest climb. That intrigued me, because I've never read about any winter ascents being done on Elbrus, but that could possibly be because there are so many people climbing it each year that it's common for at least a few people to attempt it during winter.

However, Elbrus is supposed to be a cold mountain with volatile weather. Would it be feasible at all for a person with one or two years of intensive winter mountaineering climbs in Norway to attempt this? Or is it pure insanity, and should be avoided? Or is it possible, if one is careful with the weather (of course)?

It struck me as a possibly sarcastic suggestion, though it didn't seem like it. I think that person also suggested Aconcagua during the winter, which sounds a bit crazy from what I've read about that mountain.

no avatar
dmnz

Re: Elbrus winter ascent

by dmnz » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:02 am

Thrusthamster wrote:I read on this forum once a suggestion to climb Elbrus in winter to prepare for an Everest climb. That intrigued me, because I've never read about any winter ascents being done on Elbrus, but that could possibly be because there are so many people climbing it each year that it's common for at least a few people to attempt it during winter.

However, Elbrus is supposed to be a cold mountain with volatile weather. Would it be feasible at all for a person with one or two years of intensive winter mountaineering climbs in Norway to attempt this? Or is it pure insanity, and should be avoided? Or is it possible, if one is careful with the weather (of course)?

It struck me as a possibly sarcastic suggestion, though it didn't seem like it. I think that person also suggested Aconcagua during the winter, which sounds a bit crazy from what I've read about that mountain.

if you like walking then you should 'climb' elbrus

Thrusthamster

by Thrusthamster » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:38 am

Yes I do, among other things.

bighornmonkey

by bighornmonkey » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:03 pm

Temperatures and winds near Elbrus summit can be pretty extreme in Winter.
But if you are equiped for the conditions and you catch a good weather window, it is definitely possible. This website gives you the forecast for ELBRUS SUMMIT.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Mount-Elbrus/6day/top

Thrusthamster

by Thrusthamster » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:25 pm

Definitely seems doable according to that site. "A bit" colder than Norway in winter, but after it hits -15 C I don't feel the difference anyway. :P

PeterN

by PeterN » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:48 pm

It's doable ! A lot of Alpinists proof that every year. Some locals do it as a New Year ritual. But as somebody said. Elbrus maybe look very friendly but can get very very nasty in winter (well also in summer)

no avatar
dmnz

by dmnz » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:20 am

i think what you need are longer trips, not sure if norway has that? i've never been but am keen to as i've seen some online steep ice guides to the areas...have you done much of that stuff/know much about it?

longer mountaineering trips with packs and long approaches rather than just many pitches of climbing...and multiday

then the cold, i reckon it'd be cold enough in norway, or if not go to scotland for bad weather, full winter conditions, or iceland

so aim for mountain routes (as opposed to cragging) for multi days in nasty conditions...am i on the mark?

no avatar
dmnz

by dmnz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:45 pm

http://alpineclub.org.nz/event/2009/07/ ... expedition

they might be good to contact re info or even if you just want to go along on their trips

Return to Europe