Entry level spring climb.

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.
alecdavis1992

Entry level spring climb.

by alecdavis1992 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:19 pm

There is a possibility I may be accompanying my family on a ski trip to Whistler this spring. Any ideas for a class 1 or 2 climb around those parts?

Joe White

Re: Entry level spring climb.

by Joe White » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:57 pm

alecdavis1992 wrote:Whistler this spring. Any ideas for a class 1 or 2 climb around those parts?

What month are you considering coming up? And by class 1 or 2 do you mean hikes on and off trail?

With a bit more info, I may be able to recommend a few things :)

Cheers

alecdavis1992

by alecdavis1992 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:42 pm

Joe White wrote:
alecdavis1992 wrote:Whistler this spring. Any ideas for a class 1 or 2 climb around those parts?

What month are you considering coming up? And by class 1 or 2 do you mean hikes on and off trail?

With a bit more info, I may be able to recommend a few things :)

Cheers

Yeah man, more off trail stuff, I'm trying to "level up" in the mountaineering world with my final goal being very serious mountain climbs. I'll go ahead and copy and paste a summary of my experience for further info.

I'm 18 years old and I'm an accomplished navigator thanks to the countless backpacking trips I have lead. I am also an experienced "scrambler" having found my own off-trail routes up Guadalupe peak and Hunter peak as well having done a significant amount of climbing in the Wichitas, Oachitas, Appalachians, Texas Hill Country, Rockies and on anything I can find that protrudes from the earth's surface (trees, buildings, etc.). However, the only snow climbing experience i have is a relatively tame hike up the ridge to Kachina peak in New Mexico to reach some "sidecountry" ski territory and a failed attempt of Grays peak last week due to insane conditions. Also, I own plenty of appropriate clothing for the trip, i have snowshoes, an axe and crampons.

Joe White

by Joe White » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:34 pm

This is a good guide for off trail stuff in the area:

http://cairnpublishing.com/guidebooks/scrambles.htm

This is a good guide for on trail (hiking) stuff in the area:

http://www.amazon.com/103-Hikes-Southwe ... 447&sr=8-1

Based on your criteria for off-trail and moderate snow...here are a few objectives I can recommend to do some research on:

Cypress Peak
Panorama Ridge
The Black Tusk
Brandywine Mountain

Start with those...and see if they are what you are looking for

For research you can use - google, summitpost, www.bivouac.com, cascadeclimber, or if you can get your hands on the guidebook (first one mentioned) that's the best option.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

The following user would like to thank Joe White for this post
alecdavis1992

Return to Canada and Alaska