"Extreme" Hiking/Trekking Classes in So Cal?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
puffer

"Extreme" Hiking/Trekking Classes in So Cal?

by puffer » Wed May 26, 2010 4:11 pm

I use "extreme" for lack of a better word?

Wondering if there's a place that might teach classes on hiking with axes & basic safety gear for snow & ice, how to self arrest, basic crampon use, etc?

I'm not really interested in full-on ice climbing or rock climbing but would like to move to the next level for hiking & trekking where one may encounter ice/snow fields or even a glacier. Several years ago, I did a day class on a glacier in New Zealand that was an introductory to ice climbing & glacier hiking. Was a lot of fun! But now I'd like to review some of the lessons they taught us about basic rope usage, knots, self arresting in slides, etc. Don't want to become another statistic of a hiker that slides off an icy trail into the abyss...

I live in the Los Angeles area. Any leads greatly appreciated!

Aaron

atavist

by atavist » Wed May 26, 2010 4:21 pm

What's your budget?

puffer

by puffer » Wed May 26, 2010 4:29 pm

No budget really, I guess it would depend on the number of classes, content, and credentials of the trainers, location, etc.

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed May 26, 2010 4:35 pm

There are people on this site who guide in the Sierra--Sierra Mt. Guides and the like. Seems like it's getting to be that perfect time of year to get up there for some early season snow. Just take an intro snow course. Should teach you most of what you need to know to handle modest stuff with a lot more competence.

puffer

by puffer » Wed May 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Great, thank you!

lefty

by lefty » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:04 am

The Sierra Clubs has a section called the Leadership Training Committee (LTC). It sponsors, among other things, snow classes for aspiring cub leaders and others. In the winter they have practice sessions in which basic ice axe and crampon techniques (including self arrest) are taught and practiced. Below is link with some additional information.

http://angeles.sierraclub.org/ltc/schedule.html

Return to California