Flight Logistics?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
Dougmh

Flight Logistics?

by Dougmh » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:04 pm

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on flight logistics for longer trips. Specifically, whats the cheapest way to get tickets if you have might end up flying out early/later than expected? Travel Insurance? Just buy one way tickets? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tonka

Re: Flight Logistics?

by Tonka » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:00 pm

One way tickets are typically more expensive and travel insurance protects you from changes that take place which are out of your control. Airfares are going up and staying up right now. Especially international. You need to book and stick to your plan for the cheapest flights.

Baarb

by Baarb » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:05 am

My first impression is that most of your questions are location specific. However these are some things that spring to mind...

Some countries require (theoretically at least) that you have a ticket for leaving the country before arriving in it to start with. In which case one way tickets may not work.

Flights leaving on Wednesdays are typically cheapest in general. Some last minute flights can be sold cheap if there are lots of seats left available. Price comparison websites like Orbitz or Kayak can throw up bargains too.

Start frequent flier miles accounts with the major carriers.

phydeux

by phydeux » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:22 am

You're probably going to have to ask a travel agent about this, but you can usually buy a round trip ticket with a return voucher with no specified date of return flight. It costs a little bit more, and you usually have to go 'standby' to start your return trip, but at least you have a 'ticket'. I did that in the mid-1990s when I went to Aconcagua to allow myself (ourselves) more time on the 'hill' and spent some post-climb time goofing off in Argentina, and making a short trip to Uruguay. That was in the mid-1990s, and I'd expect things have changed since 9-11. And the airlines were much more 'customer-service' oriented back then.

no avatar
Palisades79

by Palisades79 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Take a look at Lonely Planet's Thorntree Forum for the specific country you are going to and post your questions there and on it's Trekking & Mountaineering forum . Good luck 1

Return to General