Welcome to SP!  -
Areas & RangesMountains & RocksRoutesImagesArticlesTrip ReportsGearOtherPeoplePlans & PartnersWhat's NewForum

Four dead in slack country accidents in Washington

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
 

Re: Four dead in slack country accidents in Washington

Postby ExcitableBoy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:58 am

mountainsandsound wrote: calling it a "freak accident" makes me think those skiiers believed the risks were minimal on that day. They were not.

I agree. Nothing freak about avalanches coming down a natural avalanche path in extreme avalanche conditions particularly when there are humans there to trigger them.
User Avatar
ExcitableBoy

 
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:33 am
Location: Issaquah, Washington
Thanked: 444 times in 318 posts

Re: Four dead in slack country accidents in Washington

Postby Mountainjeff » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:30 am

I was up in some fairly sheltered areas around snoqualmie pass on saturday and I observed rapid wind loading in excess of 20 inches with winds gusting around 40-50 mph. This was before the biggest storms moved through.
I think the people involved were experienced enough that they probably knew the risks and were willing to make the chance. Not what I would do, but I have a pretty low tolerance for my own safety margin in the mountains.
User Avatar
Mountainjeff

 
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:55 pm
Location: Bremerton, Washington, United States
Thanked: 12 times in 8 posts

The following user would like to thank Mountainjeff for this post
chugach mtn boy

Re: Four dead in slack country accidents in Washington

Postby mountainsandsound » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:59 am

Mountainjeff wrote:I think the people involved were experienced enough that they probably knew the risks and were willing to make the chance.


I think I would agree with that, I find it hard to believe they would not have known. I suppose the way you portray it to the media is a lot different than the way you discuss it with your partners. I just think it's damaging to take that position in front of a general public that doesn't understand wilderness recreation.
User Avatar
mountainsandsound

 
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:46 am
Location: Washington, United States
Thanked: 30 times in 24 posts

Re: Four dead in slack country accidents in Washington

Postby mattyj » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:21 am

mountainsandsound wrote:This story started rubbing me the wrong way, especially the "freak accident" part.


That, and I have this vague feeling that some state congressman is days away from proposing a law that anyone not wearing an ABS is liable for rescue costs. The media has certainly taken that aspect and run with it.

To be fair, I think this whole thing has been taken out of context. Freak accident, taking precautions - these probably referred to the way the avalanche pulled in people who thought they were safely out of the slide path, and not the slide itself.
User Avatar
mattyj

 
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:21 am
Location: Truckee, California
Thanked: 63 times in 33 posts

The following user would like to thank mattyj for this post
lcarreau

Re: Four dead in slack country accidents in Washington

Postby lcarreau » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:29 am

mountainsandsound wrote: I just think it's damaging to take that position in front of a general public that doesn't understand wilderness recreation.


Yeah, I think MOST people will have a different reaction (perspective or opinion?) when they're placed in front of a camera.

I mean, look what happens when a politician is placed in front of a camera ..
User Avatar
lcarreau

 
Posts: 4056
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Court of the Crimson King, Arizona, United States
Thanked: 951 times in 710 posts

Re: Four dead in slack country accidents in Washington

Postby CSUMarmot » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:19 am

I'll throw out the fact that I have little experience in avy country, but I'll say this much; some people should not go out of bounds or mess around in the backcountry during the winter. Those people are the ones that A) don't know how to read the slopes for signs of imminent failure B) don't know the difference between optimal conditions and dangerous conditions and C) dont have at least some equipment to dig yourself or your dying buddy out of the debris. If you fail to meet those requirements, stick to the F'n frequented areas until you can meet those requirements. Until you can, I'm not gonna feel bad when you die because YOURE ASKING FOR IT.

The avalanche that killed those 4 people was not freak. It was predictable. Just as predictable as afternoon thunderstorms in the summer. Except when you get caught unexpectedly, you die.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris
User Avatar
CSUMarmot

 
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:12 am
Location: Loveland, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 70 times in 46 posts

Re: Four dead in slack country accidents in Washington

Postby acegrulla » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:10 am

.
Last edited by acegrulla on Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acegrulla

 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:36 am
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: Four dead in slack country accidents in Washington

Postby thebeave7 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:25 am

acegrulla wrote:a bit about two of the folks who you all seem to know so much about.
A HUGE loss to our PNW BC ski community. They knew the risks and took them. No reason to point fingers as if there must be "blame" to be found.
http://youtu.be/h7hFmguHkZI
http://youtu.be/SuDR5_qbwPQ
http://youtu.be/NDvHL8zQoXM
Please commence the blame and bickering.


Thanks for a little positive remembrance of those who lost their lives. RIP Chris, you'll be missed buddy.

Eric
User Avatar
thebeave7

 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2003 2:48 am
Location: Boulder, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 3 times in 1 post

Re: Four dead in slack country accidents in Washington

Postby The Chief » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:55 am

acegrulla wrote:a bit about two of the folks who you all seem to know so much about. :wink:

A HUGE loss to our PNW BC ski community. They knew the risks and took them. No reason to point fingers as if there must be "blame" to be found.

http://youtu.be/h7hFmguHkZI

http://youtu.be/SuDR5_qbwPQ

http://youtu.be/NDvHL8zQoXM

Please commence the blame and bickering.

Just another example of how even those we come to admire and claim as the "Best", can falter and make a bad choice.

It's not the first time nor will it be the last.

No blame... just fact.

The Fact that this scenario will play again, sadly, and more will succumb to the realities of Mother Nature and her unforgiving power.

All it takes is once and it's all she wrote.

We must all remember that the next time we chose to push the envelope.

End of story.





"Each and every time I paddle out to face the incredible Jaws of the Dinosaur, I surrender to the fact that it may just be my last."
Laird Hamilton



PS: At least they all died doing what they loved the most.... For that, I commend them.
The Chief

 
Thanked: time in post

Re: Four dead in slack country accidents in Washington

Postby acegrulla » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:19 am

The gal who survived.

Accomplishments
2009- Female Line of the Year, Freeride World Tour
2009- 1st Place, Nissan Tram Face, Freeride World Tour
2008- World Champion, Freeride World Tour
2008- 1st Place, Verbier Extreme
2008- 1st Place, Nissan Russian Adventure, Freeride World Tour
2008- 1st Place, Tignes, Freeride World Tour
Films
2009- The Levitation Project's "Team Edit"
2008- Rage Film's "Down Days" and "Such is Life"


http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6014919
acegrulla

 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:36 am
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: Four dead in slack country accidents in Washington

Postby The Chief » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:23 am

acegrulla wrote:The gal who survived.

Accomplishments
2009- Female Line of the Year, Freeride World Tour
2009- 1st Place, Nissan Tram Face, Freeride World Tour
2008- World Champion, Freeride World Tour
2008- 1st Place, Verbier Extreme
2008- 1st Place, Nissan Russian Adventure, Freeride World Tour
2008- 1st Place, Tignes, Freeride World Tour
Films
2009- The Levitation Project's "Team Edit"
2008- Rage Film's "Down Days" and "Such is Life"


http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6014919



So.....

What's your point?
The Chief

 
Thanked: time in post

Re: Four dead in slack country accidents in Washington

Postby acegrulla » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:37 am

It has nothing to do with your posts Chief.

This was my point and why I have posted what I have.

some people should not go out of bounds or mess around in the backcountry during the winter. Those people are the ones that A) don't know how to read the slopes for signs of imminent failure B) don't know the difference between optimal conditions and dangerous conditions and C) dont have at least some equipment to dig yourself or your dying buddy out of the debris. If you fail to meet those requirements, stick to the F'n frequented areas until you can meet those requirements. Until you can, I'm not gonna feel bad when you die because YOURE ASKING FOR IT.


That post is PURE ignorance.

"OVER AND OUT!" :lol:
acegrulla

 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:36 am
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: Four dead in slack country accidents in Washington

Postby The Chief » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:37 am

They each made the conscience decision to put it all on the line and possibly pay the ultimate price that day.

As did this "Great"




One reason some of us play hard at this game.


Another reason why some of us have hung up the gloves and moved onto something different.

Again, I commend each and everyone of these four for going out and giving their all to what they love and enjoy the most.
The Chief

 
Thanked: time in post

Re: Four dead in slack country accidents in Washington

Postby CSUMarmot » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:07 pm

acegrulla wrote:That post is PURE ignorance.


Suuuuuuuuuure. Attend a seminar and hear the exact same things.
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris
User Avatar
CSUMarmot

 
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:12 am
Location: Loveland, Colorado, United States
Thanked: 70 times in 46 posts

PreviousNext

Return to General

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

© 2006-2013 SummitPost.org. All Rights Reserved.