free advertising for those who need it

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:52 pm

what about guide company reviews

wouldn't this be a good idea for those wishing to get the word out and those looking for solid information and reviews of such guides?

They already have those on SP (and have for almost five years now):

http://www.spgear.org/object_list.php?p ... ect_type=1

Any member of SP can add guide company reviews, but it should be done by someone not in the company itself. Just because not that many people have added, doesn't mean the feature isn't there. Here is one review for a local company in Nepal:

http://www.spgear.org/gear/2724/nepal-m ... kking.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway for the rest of the questions asked, it's not bad if some guide company operators are members, but some of those guys put several messages and start a bunch of unrelated threads on ever forum category on SP or post a bunch of unrelated advertisements on existing threads.
Last edited by Scott on Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:07 pm

Problem with spgear is that it's a different website

I'm talking about SP itself, not it's expansions

No; it's this website. You simply click on the top bar under "Gear", same as you do for "What's New", "Trip Reports", "Mountains & Rocks", etc. If you've never heard of it, it's only because you always go directly to Prate and Prattle. :wink:

mstender

by mstender » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:36 pm

Scott wrote:They already have those on SP (and have for almost five years now):

http://www.spgear.org/object_list.php?p ... ect_type=1

Sweet, I did not know this existed. Was always looking for something like that. Thanks Scott for pointing it out.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:30 pm

If a guide or guide service actually becomes a contributing member to SP we show more lenience in what they can post relating to their services. Even that is limited and most guides are happy to comply. We have a number of these on a handful of continents that we have no problem with.

The guy who throws up a post out of the blue touting his services is deleted fairly quickly when brought to elf attention. We have no way of knowing whether it's legit or a scam so what value is it? The best reviews come from someone who has used the service. I don't agree with your comment that this will help SP become a major player in the mountaineering community. It would seem more like a billboard or a blank wall to post bills on.

no avatar
Husker

by Husker » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:35 am

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:36 pm

Unnoticed? Seems it was commented on quite a bit. That would be in Aaron's domain, so you ought take it up with him.

no avatar
Husker

by Husker » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:44 pm

I commented on it, then people started to think it was advertising on the T shirt I was talking about, not advertising on SP. I doubt there'd be a blind eye turned if I did it...just sayin'.

no avatar
Husker

by Husker » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:05 pm

So you think we can advertise on unmoderated? Pretty sure that is against the rules.

Article 4.1.3---Commercial advertisements are not welcome on SummitPost and are deleted quickly. This includes guiding services and other climbing-related enterprises. Recommendation and/or listing of available guide services on a mountain page does not necessarily constitute commercial advertisement. If you stand to make money from someone acting on your post, it is probably going to be deleted.

no avatar
Dave K
Forum Moderator

by Dave K » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:40 pm

Husker wrote:So you think we can advertise on unmoderated? Pretty sure that is against the rules.

Article 4.1.3---Commercial advertisements are not welcome on SummitPost and are deleted quickly. This includes guiding services and other climbing-related enterprises. Recommendation and/or listing of available guide services on a mountain page does not necessarily constitute commercial advertisement. If you stand to make money from someone acting on your post, it is probably going to be deleted.

Nope, no ads on unmod.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:42 pm

Dave K wrote:Nope, no ads on unmod.

Agreed. I'd delete those when pointed out, just as for any other forum. But the thread Husker pointed to was rather ambiguous on the point and I admit that I didn't read it thoroughly.

Husker wrote:I commented on it, then people started to think it was advertising on the T shirt I was talking about, not advertising on SP. I doubt there'd be a blind eye turned if I did it...just sayin'.

You have far more leeway these days, not to worry. I promised Aaron I'd let him handle issues there (which is why I pointed you in that direction). So I stay out of it and we're all happier for it. I rather like the new arrangement.

no avatar
Husker

by Husker » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:40 am

I've been trying to behave! :lol:

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:40 am

I for one don't want to see ads in any forum. Trying to determine who is a little local guide versus who is a big player is way too subjective and time consuming. The rules should be the same for everyone. If you want to put an ad in your personal profile page, that's fine, but keep the shit out of the forums.

no avatar
Husker

by Husker » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:34 am

Great profile shot! Merry Christmas Alpinist! :D

Return to Site Feedback