Gear You Would Buy Again and Again

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
96avs01

by 96avs01 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:14 am

Outdoor Research Tremor pant

MH Torch jacket

Scarpa Triolet

Spark R&D splitboard bindings

MScholes

by MScholes » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:05 am

Pata R1 Hoody as mentioned before.
This thing's just great! I own some with hoods and without, both awesome, but the Hoody is just fantastic - goes with me everywhere!

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:39 pm

The old OR insulated water bottle pouch; the one they made that didn't have velcro on the strap.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:50 pm

Salmon Trail runners, i've literally had them for 3-5 years, put well over 150 miles on them and they are just now starting to look like they need replacement.

The best pair of Trail runners I've had were a pair of Montrail Hardrock. Ran a full year and over 1,000 trail miles in them before they started breaking down.

Black Diamond line of packs. Several friends all had the Ice pack and really liked it so I bought it and used the crap out of for several years. By the time it was retired it was patched all over. I replaced it with a Predator which I like even more. At 45 or 50 liters they are sized perfectly for technical alpine trips up to a few days, are fairly light and relatively durable. They carry and climb well and don't break the bank.

Western Mountaineering Apache Super Dryloft sleeping bag. Rated to 15 degrees it is super vesatile. I have had mine since 1997 and have used it all over North America including winter ascents of Rainier, August trips in the Tetons, and spring ascents of Mt Hunter the Ruth Gorge peaks. Orginally $450 it was on clearance for $250 which still seemed a bit expensive. I would now happily pay the $450.

Black Diamond Betamid. I bought it on a whim nearly 10 years ago and have used it on 95% of my overnight trips since. It has shown no visible wear. I have used it in pouring rain storms, dead of winter ski mountaineering trips, it has survived a wind storm at high camp on Mt Rainier's Ptarmigan Ridge, effectively kept out hoards of mosquitos at Boulder Camp in the Bugaboos and all this for $99 and 2 1/4 pounds. As an additional bonus the 'chastity' poles keeps things nice and kosher between you and your partner at night. This might be a deal breaker if you like to camp with your sweetie.

MSR Pocket Rocket. The first time I saw this stove my partner pulled it out of his pack at our bivi during the second winter ascent of the 5,000 ft NE Buttress of Johannesberg Peak in the Cascades. The temperature was in the low teens. I tried to explain why this was a bad choice and why it was not going to work but Boyle's law was lost on my partner, a Philosophy major. By putting the canister in a water bottle cozy and stuffing hand warmers in with it we manged to melt two liters over the course of a couple hours. I did love the simple, efficient design and realized the potential for warmer trips. I bought one and have used it on every spring/summer/fall trip since. Light, simple, reliable, cheap. What more do you want in a stove?

Marmot Driclime windshirt. I paid full price for my first one, something I rarely do and was never disapointed. It is cut perfectly for a cimber's body and is the most versatile piece of clothing I own. After 8 years of hard use and many patches later, a friend at the crags mentioned maybe it was time I retired it. I replied that 'yeah, I guess it is dying'. She replied, 'Its been dead for some time'. I replaced it from STP but was hugely disapointed in the new version. It was much bulkier and the pockets had been moved to a single pocket in the back. I returned it. I guess enough people complained because Marmot came out with a 'Classic' Driclime windshirt. I bought it and it is exactly like my first one. I should have bought two.
Last edited by ExcitableBoy on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:18 pm

I'm frequently having to choose among my gear when I go on a trip. Not so much buying it again and again but what makes the cut in that it's worth hauling around through airports, train stations, up long flights of stairs to a hotel room, or packed into BC.

So it has to be stuff that's good in a variety of situations. Pants that can be worn out to dinner in a town or in water 3 feet deep walking up a jungle river. Stuff that dries fast, looks good, and is versatile.

My Garamont Light Hikers. Went all the way to the Plaza de las Mulas on Aconcagua and got worn to dinner in Mendoza. They've been in jungle streams, on Mountain Bikes in various countries, and under snowshoes. I've even shoveled snow in them at the weekend house. Having a versatile pair of footwear on a trip is a must. I generally wear them onto the plane.

My North Face Trekking pants. Ditto all the above. Have pockets in the right places. Zippered pockets that won't dribble out your stuff if you're upside down or laying back on the grass. With zip off trouser legs, they can be the shorts for your trip. They're also frequently worn onto a plane.

My souvenir stand Galapagos hat. Nice neck strap so I can simply push it back if I'm hot without risking leaving it somewhere.

My EMS polyprops and Patagucci Capilenes. Often the extra layer on hikes. Liight and dry fast. By the time I'm at Camp 3, I'm wearing them both. They wick well enough, they can be worn for two weeks straight in cold environment. I've been snorkeling in the lights to avoid burn in on a coral reef where sunblock is detrimental to coral.

SKI

by SKI » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:03 pm

TNF Redpoint Optimus Super warm and durable belay jacket. Use it for everything from shuttling my books between classes to coaxing a cold belayer into standing still while I slowly lead up ice to an extra blanket while im napping out under the stars. A great product worth its weight in Primaloft.

R1 Pullover I think there is a general consensus here about the 5-star patagonia piece.

Arc'teryx Sidewinder Jacket I've had my hide saved by this guy many times over. I swear that I could survive a mortar round wearing this piece.

Petzl Ropes Never had an issue, no undesired kinkyness.

OR Crocodile Gaiters Im pretty sure that almost everyone has these somewhere in their closet. If ya don't, make the change 8) and be cool, like the rest of us.

BD Camalots If I had money, I'd have more.

rpc

by rpc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:17 pm

aliens.

every time one breaks, I buy another to replace it (& love that shit!)

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:43 pm

+1 on the REI Acme. I live in mine on the slopes, climbing, cragging etc.

fossana

by fossana » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 pm

JHH60 wrote:Marmot Windshirt. Breathes well, resists wind and light precipitation, inexpensive. A true softshell.

+1

Also:
Evolve Demorto climbing shoes, BD Camalots, Timex Ironman watches (on my 5th), Sidi bike shoes, Metolius not marking chalk

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:58 pm

+2 on the REI Acme Pants, but my choice would have to be the original Reverso (and not its new interpretation R3 that turns ropes into spools of twisted hay rope...)

climberslacker

by climberslacker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:17 pm

Western mountaineering anything! I own the flash jacket and ultralight sleeping bad! I love that stuff!!

-CS

drpw

by drpw » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:23 pm

FortMental wrote:How about posting your gear reviews to the Gear Section of this site... THAT would be useful!

And way too much work.

GEM Trail

by GEM Trail » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:33 pm

REI Powerstretch tights. To my mind the ultimate winter tight. Great for biking, hiking, okay for snowboarding, great for snowshoeing, tough, and so comfy.

Also the MSR Pocket Rocket someone else also mentioned. To me this is the easiest, quickest, lightest stove I've ever used. And its so small it disappears into your pack.

scottmitch

by scottmitch » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:40 pm

SpiderSavage wrote:Five-Ten Guide tennies.

im on my fourth pair - they could be a little more durable but everything else is money

adventurer

by adventurer » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:54 pm

* MH EV 2 Tent (can withstand heavy winds and heavy snow anywhere on this planet)

* Marmot Couloir "0" Sleeping Bag (I've been warm in it at temps down to -20F)

* SUUNTO Vector (I wore a Rolex for 25yrs that I put in the drawer after I got my Vector)

* BD Raven 70cm Ice Axe (it's my version of a crutch)

* Grivel G 12 Crampons (very best for all around snow/ice climbing)

* Marmot Plasma Down Jacket (very warm while belaying)

PreviousNext

Return to Gear