German mountaineering guide book

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Cookie Addict

German mountaineering guide book

by Cookie Addict » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:32 am

I am moving to Germany and I am interested in picking up a German mountaineering guide book or three. Mountains, routes, etc... I can't find anything on Amazon, locally, or on the normal book sites I search. Any suggestions?

Any trekking books covering Sweden or Norway would be killer as well.

Thanks!

Gangolf Haub
Forum Moderator

Re: German mountaineering guide book

by Gangolf Haub » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:11 am

Cookie Addict wrote:I am moving to Germany and I am interested in picking up a German mountaineering guide book or three. Mountains, routes, etc... I can't find anything on Amazon, locally, or on the normal book sites I search. Any suggestions?

Any trekking books covering Sweden or Norway would be killer as well.

Thanks!

What exactly do you want to do and where? I'm afraid there is no such thing as a "Mountaineering in Germany" Book and if there was it would probably only scrape the surface. The best books I came across are the ones by the German Alpine Club, Alpenvereinsführer. They come in all "sorts and sizes" and deal with one region each.

For the German Alps try
Wetterstein: ISBN - 3-7633-1119-X (rather old)
Karwendel: ISBN - 3-7633-1121-1
Allgäu Alps: ISBN - 3-7633-1126-2
Berchtesgardener Alpen - 3-7633-1127-0 (also old)

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:57 am

If you are fine with guidebooks written in german the whole choice appears at the Shop of german Alpenverein (klick "Ich bin noch kein Mitglied..." unless you have a membership card at hand).
A big publisher concerning hiking etc. is Rother.

Martin

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:23 am

This shop in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany has a good selection of books and maps covering most aspects of the Bavarian mountains. Including those like the Alpspitze and Zugspitze that you can see from the shop's front door!

http://www.buchhandlung-adam.de/

I don't find the site that easy to navigate to get to mountain books but I guess if you contact them they may have some suggestions to meet your needs.

Charles

by Charles » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:59 pm

Charles

by Charles » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:00 pm

chris.mueller

Trekking in Norway

by chris.mueller » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:39 pm

For trekking in Norway I can recommend the books of Lars Schneider, "Outdoor Kompass Südnorwegen. Trekking-, Kanu-, Bike- und Wintertouren" and "Abenteuer Norwegen". There are some small guides for special areas like Jotunheimen or Hardangervidda and some areas in Sweden by the Stein-Verlag. For the Lofoten area there is no recommandable book available. Best for Lofoten is "Lofoten" by Michael Möbuis and Anette Star.

I recommend to buy the norwegian Turkart. with those you are well prepared for trekking in Norway

Cheers

Chris

Cookie Addict

by Cookie Addict » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:00 am

Sweet. Great information to start with. Thank you all for posting. If I find an athoritative volume in English or German, I will let everyone know.

~Matt

Sebastian Hamm

by Sebastian Hamm » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:35 pm

I agree with Charles, both books are lying on my desk at this moment.

Surf on the page of www.rother.de or www.bruckmann.de
You will find everything you want. Climbing, Trekking, Hiking or ski-mountaineering.

Greets
Sebastian

bledl

by bledl » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:00 pm

If you are interested in rock climbing have a look at the website of Panico (should be www.panico.de). They cover all interesting crags & climbing areas in their guidebooks, as well as climbing guides for Europe & the rest of the world.
Definitely the most up-to-date rock climbing guides (they also have some guidebooks for ice/mixed climbing, mountaineering & ski touring).
Another really good book for mountaineering the eastern alps is "Ostalpen-Hochtouren" available at Rother Verlag & "Firn- & Eisklettern in den Ostalpen".
Have fun!

Return to Europe