Getting around Ecuador - rent a car?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
harpner

Getting around Ecuador - rent a car?

by harpner » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:34 am

I'm going to Ecuador and want to climb Cotopaxi, Cayambe and Chimborazo. I contacted a few agencies and transport to the mountain runs like $100 from quito roundtrip. Would renting a car be a better option? An economy car rental seems to cost around $300 including insurance and that gives us the freedom to leave when we are done instead of waiting for a pickup.

I noticed some of the huts need 4wd to get to. Can you drive most of the way to the park then walk to the huts or something? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Woodie Hopper

by Woodie Hopper » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:53 pm

I rented a car for a week in Mexico for Orizaba and Izta. I personally wouldn't recommend renting in Ecuador.

cbcbd

by cbcbd » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:09 am

I wouldn't recommend renting a car there unless it's a heavy duty 4WD deally - even then, you don't want to get stuck anywhere or tip it - some roads were hairy.

Some agencies in Quito will help you arrange transportation directly from Quito - I'd go with that for Cayambe. For Cotopaxi and Chimborazo you can easily take buses that get you near the mountain and then (do you or someone in the group speak Spanish?) negotiate with a local with a 4WD vehicle to take you the rest of the way.

Cayambe - if you are planning on doing the South route, to get to the base of the hut on you WILL need a real 4WD vehicle - road is very rough. With a regular car you can only get partway and there's no way I'd leave a car where you can't go any further. The hut is a palace and very nice place right near a sweet glacier.

Cotopaxi - also, another one that it would really help to have 4WD if you want to make it to the parking lot near the hut. We took the bus to near the entrance of the park and I negotiated with a guy with a truck to take us in and pick us up on the way out - very heavily trafficked parking lot and area - lots of day visitors wanting to get close to the base of the mountain.

Chimbo - also another where you can take a bus to Riobamba from Quito... we found a guy near the bus terminal in Riobamba with a pickup who was willing to take us/pick us up some days later. The road up to the lower Carrel Hut (if you are doing the popular El Castillo route) can be accessed with a regular car - we just needed a pickup because we had tons of gear.

I'd recommend getting "Ecuador: A Climbing Guide" - lots of good info
http://www.amazon.com/Ecuador-Climbing- ... 879&sr=8-3

Good luck and have a great time (and watch your pockets!)

...oh yeah, and don't forget to acclimatize plenty on the smaller peaks (Guagua, Illinizas)... 20K ft (or 18K, or 19K) ain't no picnic!! The Illinizas are hard to get to, but worth it (especially Sur) - but you probably already know that anyway.

Haliku

by Haliku » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:35 am

cbcbd wrote:I wouldn't recommend renting a car there unless it's a heavy duty 4WD deally - even then, you don't want to get stuck anywhere or tip it - some roads were hairy.

I´m in Quito now finishing up my trip... I agree fully with cbcbd. Unless you really know your way around this country and speak the language driving here would be hellish. The road to Cayambe is still snowed in so you have a 20-30 minute hike to the hut. Cheers!

Return to South America