GPS data logger?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Tools_Incoming

GPS data logger?

by Tools_Incoming » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi All,

Does anyone use or recommend a specific GPS data logger for use in the backcountry? As I'm prepping for a 3-day climb in the Cascades next week I'd like to have a GPS logger with me. The main idea is to generate a GPS track (i.e. a KML) for use after the climb. So I just need a tiny black box that sits deep in my bag and does it's thing.
Needs to be as light as possible, and have a battery/s that last for a few days on a full charge. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Norris

Re: GPS data logger?

by Norris » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:20 pm

In general, a GPS unit wants a clear view of the sky to work reliably. So you should plan to clip it to your pack strap, not bury it in your pack. Also, a good GPS unit is much more useful if it has a topo map display. My recommendation would be to get a Garmin GPSMap 62s.
Another possibility would be to get a Suunto Ambit watch. This is a mountaineer's watch with altimeter, compass, and GPS. You can export a track in KML or GPX format from the watch.

BoulderTraveler

Re: GPS data logger?

by BoulderTraveler » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:09 pm

I use a Delorme PN60w (http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeC ... tion=10460) and generate maps for trip reports (and GPX tracks):

Using Lithium Ultimate Energizers should give adequate multiday performance. Turn off at camp (and save the day's track for convenience). I lock the buttons, stick it in my top flap pocket, and just let it record.

Return to Gear