Grivel North Machine Carbon ???

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
pjc30943

Re: Grivel North Machine Carbon ???

by pjc30943 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:07 pm

Logsden, good to know; what were your uses over the last year? (ice only, mixed, alpine snow, etc)

no avatar
logsden

by logsden » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:23 pm

All three. I wouldn't classify it as heavy use however.

Time will tell, but I just generally don't see that part of the tool as an area that receives all that much abuse beyond some cane position walking and the occasional knuckle bash when I swing like an idiot. Beyond that, I have trouble coming up with a scenario where the spike is either my only option or is hypercritical to my survival. So it's just not high on my list of stuff to worry about with any technical tool.

no avatar
pjc30943

by pjc30943 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:11 am

Thanks logsden, good data point.

Out of curiosity, anyone (including logsden) have feedback on how much the stock Ice pick's jagged upper section shreds or doesn't shred gloves when used in cane position during general snow travel? At first glance it seems inherently impractical, with the caveat that of course that position is not the primary operation mode.

no avatar
pjc30943

by pjc30943 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:35 am

After more use, I've realized why the NMC is awkward to swing. It's not the small diameter grip per se, but the fact that the small diameter is almost round and symmetric. For later hands (and perhaps smaller ones as well) this makes it trickier for me to orient the tool by feel alone using the fingertips, compared to (say) the quarks or nomic which have a slightly larger and more elliptical handle.

I pick up quarks with eyes closed, and in an instant have it properly zoned in the hand; i'm certain it's going to be a good swing. I pick up the NMC with eyes closed, and i can get it roughly there, but definitely not to as fine an accuracy...there's a lot of uncertainty in the angle.

To me, this is quite a disadvantage compared to other tools; i find my NMC pick more frequently mis-oriented on palcement than other tools. With other tools I can easily adjust into the proper grip between swings by feel, using the fingertips, without looking or waiting for the first placement's feedback.

Previous

Return to Gear