Harness - BD Alpine Bod or Couloir ?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
sm0421

Harness - BD Alpine Bod or Couloir ?

by sm0421 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:45 am

Hi, I want to buy a harness for Mt. Rainier, and in the future, Mt. Hood, Gannett Peak and Granite Peak. (and maybe Denali someday)

I researched a lot and actually tried them on, I really like the Couloir but heard many people say that the small buckle is not convenient for winter mountaineering.

Which one would you recommend?

Thanks,
Alex

Kai

Re: Harness - BD Alpine Bod or Couloir ?

by Kai » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:29 am

Couloir.

Very good alpine harness. I have thick, fumbly fingers, and I can work the buckles just fine.

(I own an alpine bod too. It doesn't get used now except as a loaner.)

Autoxfil

by Autoxfil » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:02 am

Couloir. I have yet to meet anyone who has used both who doesn't think the Couloir is much better in every way. That's saying something, because the Alpine Bod is a classic.

It's much ligher, packs down to nothing, has a belay loop, is just as comfortable, not much more expensive... just better all around.

The weight alone will really matter on all those state highpoints you're after. Your Gannet pack will be too heavy no matter what you do, so learn to shave weight now... ounces really matter!
Last edited by Autoxfil on Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountainjeff

by Mountainjeff » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:42 am

I have the Alpine BOD and love it, but the couloir seems like a more comfortable alternative that packs smaller than the BOD and is lighter

sm0421

by sm0421 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:13 pm

thank you guys! I purchased the Couloir from EMS this weekend and I love it! It's so light and packable.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:37 pm

sm0421 wrote:thank you guys! I purchased the Couloir from EMS this weekend and I love it! It's so light and packable.

Ok sm0421, now that you have a harness will have to go climbing!
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:48 pm

Autoxfil wrote: I have yet to meet anyone who has used both who doesn't think the Couloir is much better in every way.

Hello Autoxfil, I don't believe we've met! I just don't like the Couloir. I really wanted to, if only because it's a nice orange color. But it just doesn't fit me properly. I'm a bit between sizes, so tried the S/M and M/L sizes, but the fit is terrible. Way too short in the front, like it's falling off me. I also think the buckle is too small, but I've never used it in winter with gloves because the fit is just unworkable. My Alpine Bod fits like a glove and isn't much heavier. The Couloir is a nice harness, but not for me.

Return to Gear