Healing frostbite

Discussion of medical or rescue topics related to climbing and mountaineering.
no avatar
garburator

Healing frostbite

by garburator » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:37 pm

A few days ago contracted what looks to be frostbite on big toe. It (hopefully) doesn't look bad, but there is a small purplish area near the tip. Already went to an urgent care center and they said it's a waiting game, but there's a good sign that it was warm to the touch. I've started using aloe vera gel on it and drinking few cups of sage tea to improve circulation. And even a couple of times coated some cayenne pepper on it. Any other suggestions? Of course I don't want to lose any of it.

sharperblue

Re: Healing frostbite

by sharperblue » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:07 am

pics or it didn't happen ;)

sounds like frostnip; if so, the purple will turn to black and swell, then you'll get a bit of pus and some nasty shedding of layers of skin - pretty gross, but that's pretty much the worst part; a bit of pain, but nothing some Advil can't handle. some minor scar tissue. enjoy!

the original question: sounds a bit like homeopathy BS, but i swear by drinking a glass of almond milk each day for frostnip; it is a natural anti-inflammatory and increases circulation in the extremities - it seems to accelerate the shedding and healing considerably

Return to Mountain Medicine & Rescue