Hiking/Via Ferrata in Wengen/Chamonix

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Woodie Hopper

by Woodie Hopper » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:44 pm

You might consider the Rotstock via ferrata at the base of the Eiger. You could take the Mannlichen cable car and hike to the route, or take the train from Wengen to Kleinescheidegg or Alpiglen and take a short hike to the start. From what I understand it's a little short, so you would still have plenty of time for hiking afterwards. A little farther away is the Talli Klettersteig, which I have done, (it's also a via ferrata) near Meiringen in the direction of the Sustenpass. Both routes can be found here on SP. The Talli Klettersteig is longer, and the hike back out takes you back up and over a little pass and takes at least two hours.

Woodie

Woodie Hopper

by Woodie Hopper » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:44 pm

You might consider the Rotstock via ferrata at the base of the Eiger. You could take the Mannlichen cable car and hike to the route, or take the train from Wengen to Kleinescheidegg or Alpiglen and take a short hike to the start. From what I understand it's a little short, so you would still have plenty of time for hiking afterwards. A little farther away is the Talli Klettersteig, which I have done, (it's also a via ferrata) near Meiringen in the direction of the Sustenpass. Both routes can be found here on SP. The Talli Klettersteig is longer, and the hike back out takes you back up and over a little pass and takes at least two hours.

Woodie

no avatar
Flachlandtiroler

by Flachlandtiroler » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:13 am

Tälli ferrata is the oldest one in CH and usually accessed by a small, overcrowded cable car -- not recommenden on weekends.

On the opposite side of the susten road there is a new ferrata to Tiebergli Hütte -- PDF Description (in german). If you have a car you can drive nearly next to the starting point, paying 5 CHF fee; if not it is one hour walk from the bus stop "Steingletscher".

Other quite steep hikes are the ascent of Dossenhütte in the Rosenlaui and the very long (as a daytrip) but rewarding hike to Schreckhornhütte.

A ferrata more on the easy side leads to the Schwarzhorn near Grindelwald (starting from "First" station) and a harder one to Daubenhorn at the Gemmi region.

HTH, Martin

Return to Europe