Hip flexor problem when training with pack

Tips, tricks, workouts, injury advice.
skycripp

Hip flexor problem when training with pack

by skycripp » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:22 pm

Hi all,

I've had an issue lately when training with a weighted backpack, and I'm not sure why. When I jump on a stairmaster with my 25L pack (loaded between 45 and 60 pounds) I experience rapid fatigue and painful cramping in my hip flexor complex and lower back, and especially in my right gluteus minimus.

I have always had some hip flexor imbalances and recently had some glute/hamstring atrophy due to injury, but it's so bad I can only stomach 25-30 minutes at a time.

Is it possible that a poorly loaded pack is contributing to the issue? If so, is the weight likely sitting too high/too low/not close enough to spine? I've been using Kettlebells in my pack that may not sit as well as bags of rice or beans.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

no avatar
Yank-Tank

Re: Hip flexor problem when training with pack

by Yank-Tank » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:07 am

Try going to the doctor and getting some footbeds. Otherwise yeah it hurts, no pain no gain.

The other day after and as I ran 13 miles I was in so much pain that I spewed up and could barely walk for the rest of the day.

punchline

by punchline » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:00 pm

It sounds like you have too much weight for the geometry of a 25L pack and it might not be sitting correctly:

http://www.melissaarnot.com/what-volume-pack-do-i-need/

The following user would like to thank punchline for this post
skycripp

skycripp

by skycripp » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:47 pm

punchline wrote:It sounds like you have too much weight for the geometry of a 25L pack and it might not be sitting correctly:

http://www.melissaarnot.com/what-volume-pack-do-i-need/

Thank you very much. I had no idea I was maxing out my pack by such a large margin. I think that explains it, as it does feel as if the pack isn't sitting quite right on my shoulders when it's loaded.

I'll just have to suck it up and haul my bigger bag to my climbing gym. Thank you again!

punchline

by punchline » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:55 pm

No problem - I am guilty of the very same thing and couldn't figure out why my neck and shoulders felt so bad. I think the article sums it up well.

Happy(ier) Training!

Return to Technique and Training