Huaraz, Peru Traveller Checks

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
eferesen

Huaraz, Peru Traveller Checks

by eferesen » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:33 am

Greeting,

Are traveller checks accepted in smaller cities like Huaraz? I know I can take my bank card but I am trying to avoid it.

Thanks
Ahsan

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:49 am

Probably, but in my experience (I stopped carrying travelers checks for this reason), you will get less money or charged a fee for them in any Latin American country than you would with cash or card. In the larger cities and tourist cities you can find places to change them, but cash or ATM is much easier. Of course it may be slightly more risky as well, but I've never had a problem.

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:32 pm

I gave up traveller's checks a long time ago. I've always taken my bank card and have had no problems. I'm told that you can get prepaid credit cards that would work the same way and would limit your potential loss to the amount that you had put on them.

TYeary

by TYeary » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:29 pm

Take a bank card and some cash. Exchange your money out of the airport if possible. You will find better exchange rates. Also, don't take large bills ie. 100.00 . Take only small denomination bills, 20's , that are ( very important), clean, un-marked, not folded, ripped or otherwise tattered. If you do this, you will have no problem.

Vic Hanson

by Vic Hanson » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:08 pm

I agree that an ATM card is the way to go, but it is a good idea to call your bank first and let them know when and where you will be traveling. Some banks will block unusual use (ie out of country) if they don't know ahead of time. The crisp new bills advice is also essential for the cash you bring.

no avatar
farrgo

by farrgo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:03 pm

I've never had luck with travlers checks at businesses. I've always had to go to the bank, wait in line, and then pay a fee. Total waste of time. There are ATMs everywhere and charge no fee, except what your bank gets you for. Don't take travlers checks.

Return to South America