Huts... or modern crap ?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
Claude Mauguier

Huts... or modern crap ?

by Claude Mauguier » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:04 am

rgg
Forum Moderator

Re: Huts... or modern crap ?

by rgg » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:56 pm

First of all, let me say that I quite like mountain huts and frequently make use of them when I'm in the Alps. I can understand the sentiments of the author of this article. Of the modern huts that he mentions, I've stayed at the new Monte Rosa hut and at the new Rifugio Gonella, and was glad for their existence. Sure, their mere existence takes away a little bit from the pristine mountain environment, but, personally, I believe that the advantage of allowing more people to enjoy the Alps is well worth it. And these two are not all that obtrusive.

In contrast, the new Gouter Refuge (I didn't visit it, only saw it from a distance, looking down from Dome de Gouter) appeared very much out of place. While I appreciate how it makes climbing Mont Blanc possible for more people, I can't help but wonder with the author if it wouldn't have been better to simple take down the old hut and not build a new one at all.

Return to Europe