I do not believe Joe Simpson

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Silvio1973

I do not believe Joe Simpson

by Silvio1973 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:42 pm

Guys,
I know this might sound strange to you but I need to share this with someone.
I do not believe Joe Simpson. I think what happened on Siula Grande was exagerated / falsified.
I know this is not very respectful from my side but that story is full of holes... I feel a bit ashamed to say so, but I think he invented a lot of things.

What is your view ?

Silvio

WingLady

Re: I do not believe Joe Simpson

by WingLady » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:32 pm

I think you're right. He probably faked his badly broken leg and had a bunch of doctors go along with the ruse. And all that weight loss during his ordeal? He was just on a really strict diet where he didn't eat or drink water for days! And, of course, he convinced his climbing partner, Yates, and the other person who was in base camp go along with the whole scheme as well.

Were you just bored today and felt like trolling?
D. Winger
The Winger Bookstore
New: Two Shadows
The Trad Guide to Joshua Tree
Highpoint Adventures
The Essential Guide to Great Sand Dunes National Park

The following user would like to thank WingLady for this post
attimount

etai101

by etai101 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:33 pm

i think you should sound your facts and intern get respective viewers to show what they think instead of just invoking a long drawn out thread, no one wants to make a big deal about a big deal.
we all in the climbing community use the honor code how do you know messner did all that he did?

chaw

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:40 pm

WingLady wrote:I think you're right. He probably faked his badly broken leg and had a bunch of doctors go along with the ruse. And all that weight loss during his ordeal? He was just on a really strict diet where he didn't eat or drink water for days! And, of course, he convinced his climbing partner, Yates, and the other person who was in base camp go along with the whole scheme as well.

Were you just bored today and felt like trolling?

Hey, I've been to the area of his base camp. We drove in on a four-lane highway and there was a Walmart just half a mile away. I know he was lying! :lol: :lol: :lol:

goldenhopper

by goldenhopper » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:15 pm

Simon would have to be lying too and they don't even like each other. Oh and Richard would too so as to corroborate the timeline. It would have to be conspiracy. All that Simpson would be able to manufacture was what happed from the crevasse to laying in piss nearly dead if it were not a conspiracy.

Are you suggesting he exaggerated his lunacy in the later days and exactly how deep the crevasse was and how he got out?

“Anyway, he’s not a real climber. That’s called snow slogging” - Steve :wink:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:04 pm

I'm concerned that anita doesn't care.

The following user would like to thank MoapaPk for this post
WoundedKnee

Holsti97

by Holsti97 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:26 pm

The DVD Touching the Void has footage of the climbers returning to the scene years later. I thought their reaction was quite interesting. They seem visibly shaken by the experience and generally pissed off about being there again. Make sure you watch that part of the DVD after watching the movie. It provides an interestiing perspective.

TimB

by TimB » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:30 pm

Well I don't believe OJ Simpson, so there...
:lol:

The following user would like to thank TimB for this post
hightinerary

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:43 pm

I think in the book some stuff was under exaggerated to be honest. I felt like he didn't say enough about some of the fear, but it was his first book and such which he still did a great job writting. When I first saw the movie years ago I did kinda think that parts might be exaggerated, but gave it much thought and have had a lot of mountaineering experiences myself. Eventually I read the book which I carefully observed details which really helped convince me. People tend to blame Simon saying "Why didn't he use anchors... bla bla" but I remember reading that they had actually ran out of anchors from a repel. No one seemed to catch that little detail (Joe did not make it stand out I suppose). But not only does all the events pill out pretty logically but imagine, being left for dead like that. It would be a hellish mis-adventure for anyone, no matter how tough they are. As well as being left for dead. So what part do you believe was exaggerated? Cornices on the mountain? Storms? Cutting the Rope? There was good reason the West Ridge wasn't done before. Siula Grande is one heck of a mountain, so if anyone's up for Touching the Void 2 go ahead and do the South Face! :P :lol:

Cy Kaicener

by Cy Kaicener » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:04 pm

Joe Simpson is getting a lot of publicity from his story. Check out his website
http://www.noordinaryjoe.co.uk

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:27 pm

First Joe Simpson, then the guy from 127 Hours. Now I gotta do something rediculous, get injured and get famous for it! :twisted: Just kidding. :wink:

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:49 pm

anita wrote:my view: I don't care.

I think if he were a Conservative Republican he would have made smarter decisions and not got himself in that mess. :wink: :wink:

The following user would like to thank Marmaduke for this post
Hotoven

Josh Lewis

by Josh Lewis » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:57 pm

Well I suppose he could have not climbed the West Face. :wink:
Was it the fact that he did not quit while going up? I feel everything after breaking his leg he did pretty good.

Andes6000

by Andes6000 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:16 pm

It's hard to judge if you weren't there, especially in the mountains. That said, there's plenty of jerks who think they can fool everyone. Does anyone remember Christian Stangl?

http://www.planetmountain.com/english/N ... eyid=37578

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:51 pm

Silvio1973 wrote:Guys,
I know this might sound strange to you but I need to share this with someone.
I do not believe Joe Simpson. I think what happened on Siula Grande was exagerated / falsified.
I know this is not very respectful from my side but that story is full of holes... I feel a bit ashamed to say so, but I think he invented a lot of things.

What is your view ?

Silvio

I think you need to tell us what you think he exaggerated/falsified. Tell us what you think the holes are. Tell us what you think he invented. Unless, of course, you're just trolling.

Next

Return to General