Is it OK to create pages about peaks you haven't climbed?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
PAROFES

Re: Is it OK to create pages about peaks you haven't climbed

by PAROFES » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:11 am

Well i'm surprised to read this thread now.
I just did a page for a volcano that i haven't climbed yet. But i know about the routes.
Is that a problem???

If folks wanna take a look at the mountain page: http://www.summitpost.org/juriques-volcano/675318

I saw this going on for quite some time but i never stoped to read it until now. Well, my intention is only to help SP to improve the info about mountains, that i can say.

:?

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:56 am

PAROFES wrote:Well i'm surprised to read this thread now.
I just did a page for a volcano that i haven't climbed yet. But i know about the routes.
Is that a problem???

If folks wanna take a look at the mountain page: http://www.summitpost.org/juriques-volcano/675318

I saw this going on for quite some time but i never stoped to read it until now. Well, my intention is only to help SP to improve the info about mountains, that i can say.

I would think if the information is very informative and exact, then probably the page info is fine. BUT I still agree with Chad, I think if you've climbed the route/mountain, generally the info should be better and a better perspective would be put forth.

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:09 am

I will NEVER change my mind! Life is a bear, points don't matter, and mountains were made to be
climbed ...

"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:15 am

Neophiteat48 wrote:
Is that a problem???

I would think if the information is very informative and exact, then probably the page info is fine. BUT I still agree with Chad, I think if you've climbed the route/mountain, generally the info should be better and a better perspective would be put forth.

I would not go immediately ripping down pages you already created, yet this was just today.

Look at it this way Paulo, do you think the page would be a bit better if you had climbed it already? That's really what we are talking about. I would keep the page, keep this peak on your to-do list and add to the contents after you do the climb- it will improve the page. In the meantime if someone else climbs it and wants to improve the page, it would be good to work with them on that. Depending on what they are able to add, hopefully you would be able to work out who the best owner of the page should be. It would also be good to seek this information if you notice someone sign the climbers log.

What isn't clear to me is if a guide is really necessary. $200 is a lot of money, especially in this area. If mines are a real concern that is one thing, but it appears you climbed nearby Licancabur without one (not sure if that is correct or not). The guy who owns the Licancabur page paid $30 for a guide for that one. I bring this up as a possible example of something that might be more clear, and you might have a better recommendation on, if you had climbed this one as well.

yatsek

by yatsek » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:58 am

Is that a problem??? (...)Well, my intention is only to help SP to improve the info about mountains, that i can say.

Please see my comments (except the last) on page 11.

yatsek

by yatsek » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:04 am

lcarreau wrote:I will NEVER change my mind! Life is a bear, points don't matter, and mountains were made to be
climbed ...

People, women and men, are DIFFERENT and it's OK as long as they can bear the fact. I will change my mind when there's a good reason. The bear deserves a beer, power points don't really matter, and mountains were made to be there.

The following user would like to thank yatsek for this post
lcarreau

PAROFES

by PAROFES » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:25 pm

Yeah,

I'm totaly okay with someone who climbed the volcano to check the page for possible updates/ info!
But i am quite sure that there is enough info already. After all, i saw and photographed the volcano several times from all sides hehehe

That is a cone shaped volcano, it is just walk up, the only problem is the mined field (big problem of course), but i made that clear and strongly recommended people to hire a guide, and left info about the best of the city, which btw is my friend.

Someone said some answers above about points. I REALLY don't care about the points ahahahahah, i care about mountains, climbing partners, and big ass volcanoes around the world! And the biggest volcanoes of our planet are here in South America, so, i'm at home my friends :)

Seriously, i'd be glad to recieve fresh new info about the volcano. Even share the page!

The page looks good and it gave a hard job to do it, years of photo files ( i used my photos from 2007, 2009 and 2010 to build the page ), years of info and to build the page itself, about 5 hours.

I just hope everyone likes it! :)

I'll do something to start, add on a new field for adds (info) from people who climb the mountain. I think that's a good tool!

thak you all by the answers and, Icarreau, you are quite a character my friend ahahahahah.................

Peace to us all!

Paulo

The following user would like to thank PAROFES for this post
lcarreau, yatsek

yatsek

by yatsek » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:40 pm

PAROFES wrote: I REALLY don't care about the points (...) Seriously, i'd be glad to recieve fresh new info about the volcano. Even share the page!

If you REALLY don't care about the points, how about this then?
yatsek wrote:...stating that the writer hasn't climbed the peak and will be on cloud nine to share this page with the first SP'er who reaches the summit and thus becomes the "owner" whereas the current owner turns him/herself into the "admin".

Bruno

by Bruno » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:20 pm

Is that a problem???

Hi Parofes,
As someone who climbed Juriques (but already 12 years ago), I found your page OK and the information is reliable, regardless whether you climbed it or not. In particular, your two pictures with the routes are clear and informative. A few comments though:

1) Getting there. You only mentioned the approach from Chile, but you can also approach it from Bolivia, as you know. Could you please add this part?

2) Guides and mines. Cimbing from Bolivia, I really wonder why a guide would be necessary. From Laguna Blanca, it is a straighforward 1/2 day walk, and there is really no way to get lost. Never heard about mines on Bolivian side in the North/South Lipez, although I used to live in Bolivia for a few years and have been 4 times to the Lipez. To my knowledge, only the Chilean side of the Cordiliera has some minefields. Maybe it is just a way for the guides to get more tourits hiring their services.

3. Camping not allowed?? At least 10-15 years ago, camping on the Bolivian side was allowed everywhere. Maybe this is again just a rumor spread by the guides and people at the guesthouse.

4. What I found a bit disturbing in your page is not that you haven't climbed it, but rather that you spend half of the text to explain that you haven't climbed it, what are your source of information, what to do if other SPers have climbed it, etc. IMHO, a short 1-line sentence is enough! :!:

Cheers,
Bruno

PS. Please no need to put my name in your page or log me as editor or whatever just because I climbed this peak. You are doing fine enough.

Bruno

by Bruno » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:27 pm

yatsek wrote:
PAROFES wrote: I REALLY don't care about the points (...) Seriously, i'd be glad to recieve fresh new info about the volcano. Even share the page!

If you REALLY don't care about the points, how about this then?
yatsek wrote:...stating that the writer hasn't climbed the peak and will be on cloud nine to share this page with the first SP'er who reaches the summit and thus becomes the "owner" whereas the current owner turns him/herself into the "admin".

I don't see this as a necessity in all cases. Taking the example of Volcan Juriques, it is likely that many SPers have already climbed it (as I did), but have no interest to become owner/maintainer of this page (as it is my case). It can also occur that the member who have climbed it doesn't have much info to add, or that the info is outdated (again this is my case for Juriques...)

PS. Shouldn't this thread be moved to the site feedback instead of the general forum?

The following user would like to thank Bruno for this post
visentin

yatsek

by yatsek » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:21 pm

Bruno_Tibet wrote:I don't see this as a necessity in all cases. Taking the example of Volcan Juriques, it is likely that many SPers have already climbed it (as I did), but have no interest to become owner/maintainer of this page (as it is my case). It can also occur that the member who have climbed it doesn't have much info to add, or that the info is outdated (again this is my case for Juriques...

First, if nobody's interested to become owner/maintainer, there's no problem. Second, I cannot say what I'd do if I were the owner of such a page as personally I'm not interested in creating pages about what I haven't climbed. Third, if the climber had little to add, I'd still be happy to name him "owner" and make myself "admin".

The following user would like to thank yatsek for this post
mrchad9

Bruno

by Bruno » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:29 pm

yatsek wrote:
Bruno_Tibet wrote:I don't see this as a necessity in all cases. Taking the example of Volcan Juriques, it is likely that many SPers have already climbed it (as I did), but have no interest to become owner/maintainer of this page (as it is my case). It can also occur that the member who have climbed it doesn't have much info to add, or that the info is outdated (again this is my case for Juriques...

First, if nobody's interested to become owner/maintainer, there's no problem. Second, I cannot say what I'd do if I were the owner of such a page as personally I'm not interested in creating pages about what I haven't climbed. Third, if the climber had little to add, I'd still be happy to name him "owner" and make myself "admin".

Anyway, I don't like the word "owner"... I don't own any mountain..

I do still believe that the next step in the evolution of SP would be to go wiki...

The following user would like to thank Bruno for this post
John Duffield

yatsek

by yatsek » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:57 pm

Bruno_Tibet wrote:I do still believe that the next step in the evolution of SP would be to go wiki...

I do find wiki useful, but I guess everybody agrees it just can't be a source of info you can rely on without checking it out against other sources, quite unlike guidebooks written by authors you trust. Anyway, one wiki already exists, why make another one?

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:04 pm

yatsek wrote:
Bruno_Tibet wrote:I do still believe that the next step in the evolution of SP would be to go wiki...

I do find wiki useful, but I guess everybody agrees it just can't be a source of info you can rely on without checking it out against other sources, quite unlike guidebooks written by authors you trust. Anyway, one wiki already exists, why make another one?

Good point. Nothing is stopping folks from adding this type of climbing information to Wikipedia, yet they don't do it for the most part.

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:02 am

Moved to Site Feedback. I never noticed until now this thread had been in General.

Anyway, carry on. This is a good discussion.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

PreviousNext

Return to Site Feedback