Is it OK to create pages about peaks you haven't climbed?

Suggestions and comments about SummitPost's features, policies, and procedures. Post bugs here.
Gabriele Roth

Re: Is it OK to create pages about peaks you haven't climbed

by Gabriele Roth » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:20 pm

Bob Sihler wrote:... Anyway, carry on. This is a good discussion.
I don't think so ...
joining SP and reading the main rules/suggestions one should understand the correct behaviour
threads like this look aimed to get the ownership of existing (maybe not fine) pages, avoiding the direct connection with the owner/maintainer

The following user would like to thank Gabriele Roth for this post
John Duffield

yatsek

by yatsek » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:14 pm

gabriele wrote:...threads like this look aimed to get the ownership of existing (maybe not fine) pages, avoiding the direct connection with the owner/maintainer

Could you please clarify what you mean?

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:12 pm

yatsek wrote:
gabriele wrote:...threads like this look aimed to get the ownership of existing (maybe not fine) pages, avoiding the direct connection with the owner/maintainer

Could you please clarify what you mean?

I think he means that he sees this thread as a way to pressure page owners or the elves into transferring some pages to new owners without confronting the owners directly.

I see it differently. I think this thread is trying to seek a formal policy or at least create a culture of "climb before you post" going forward.

So to clarify: we are not deleting or forcibly transferring mountain pages created by people who haven't climbed the peak. That was never a formal rule, and there are too many such pages, and it would create a huge mess on this site.
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off."

--Terry Lennox, The Long Goodbye (Raymond Chandler)

The following user would like to thank Bob Sihler for this post
John Duffield, yatsek

CSUMarmot

by CSUMarmot » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:15 am

I in my self-proclaimed modest transcended the urge to accumulate copious amounts of power points point of view have this to say:

I personally will not make a page entirely devoted to a mountain I have never climbed before, it is not a good representation of the climb and should not be done...

That being said, quality of a page is what garnishes votes, not the actual existance of the page itself...so if you do not have anything pertainent about the peak, it will not be rewarded as a page constructed by someone who has climbed said mountain
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

Previous

Return to Site Feedback