Jul/Aug 2014 - Exp. Alpine Trad Leader? Tbolt to Polemonium

Find climbing partners in California
iditarod81

Jul/Aug 2014 - Exp. Alpine Trad Leader? Tbolt to Polemonium

by iditarod81 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:44 pm

My husband and I and possibly another couple aim to attempt a 4-summit excursion of Thunderbolt to Polemonium in the Palisades (out of Big Pine in California's Sierra Nevada). We are reserving 4 days for the trip:

day 1 (Thurs.) - drive up to the trailhead from San Diego and sleep at the TH,
day 2 (Fri.) - hike into base camp at the foot of the Palisade glacier,
day 3 (Sat.) - summit Thunderbolt, Starlight, North Palisade and Polemonium by traversing from Thunderbolt to Polemonium and day 4
(Sun.) - hike back to the TH and drive home.

We have lots of experience in the Sierras, having summited 10 of the 15 fourteeners (only Thunderbolt, Starlight, North Palisade, Polemonium and Russell remain) and close to 70 peaks altogether. We have done plenty of glacier travel and feel comfortable on this terrain. We also have experience lead climbing, but at this point our skills are mainly limited to sport / bolted climbs. Thus, we have some reservations about pursuing a high-altitude trad climb without a more experienced alpine leader and are looking for a serious, experienced climber to join our team (we own a trad rack, harnesses, shoes, etc.).

Please contact me if you are interested in coming on our trip as an "alpine lead expert." The dates for this trip are TBD but we want to go in either July or August of 2014 when we expect the ridgelines will be free of snow. We are amenable to whatever dates you suggest within this window.

Thanks!! :D

Return to US - California