Just Finished Seven Summits And Selling New and Used Gear

A forum for members looking to buy and sell gear from and to each other.
CSUMarmot

Re: Just Finished Seven Summits And Selling New and Used Gea

by CSUMarmot » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:29 am

I cant even tell if this shit is real
Dammit kid get off mah lawn!!!
NoCo Chris

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:49 am

Fatdad - I hope to god you are not an actual "dad" (or even a climber for that matter)

Real climbers do not retire after couple of peaks. I believe he was and still is a climber.

The following user would like to thank Vitaliy M. for this post
CSUMarmot, fatdad

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:03 am

CSUMarmot wrote:I cant even tell if this shit is real

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsleaGuZwCU[/youtube]
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:45 am

Vitaliy M. wrote:
Fatdad - I hope to god you are not an actual "dad" (or even a climber for that matter)

Real climbers do not retire after couple of peaks. I believe he was and still is a climber.

Yes, I still climb, but not nearly as much as I'd like since climbing has had to take a distant third to having a family and a career.

no avatar
stevemeg

by stevemeg » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:32 pm

fatdad wrote:
Vitaliy M. wrote:

Yes, I still climb, but not nearly as much as I'd like since climbing has had to take a distant third to having a family and a career.

So, your reasons for slowing down are legit while he's a poser? You don't even know his reasons for "retiring", do you? Maybe he's got a family and a career, too. But you're still a climber...very interesting.

The guy's just trying to sell some stuff. No need to be so nasty.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:05 pm

stevemeg wrote:
fatdad wrote:
Vitaliy M. wrote:

So, your reasons for slowing down are legit while he's a poser? You don't even know his reasons for "retiring", do you? Maybe he's got a family and a career, too. But you're still a climber...very interesting.

Agreed, this thread almost makes seem as if these guys know each other and are just screwing around. Doesn't make sense to give the guy a hard time about posting the fact he just completed the 7 summits, that's pretty dang cool. And in a sense we all have our own egos at certain levels, why else would all the stuff be posted here? Signed summit logs, TR's, handing out beta, even some of the photos are a "look what I did/where I went".

Congrats Chapter 11!!

lcarreau

by lcarreau » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:46 pm

Marmaduke wrote:
Congrats Chapter 11!!

Yeah, but we were just curious if there's going to be a "Chapter 12."

Inquiring minds want to know.
"Turkey Vultures always vomit when they get nervous."

The following user would like to thank lcarreau for this post
Marmaduke

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:02 pm

stevemeg wrote:
fatdad wrote:
Vitaliy M. wrote:

There is a BIG difference between slowing down due to starting a family, and never caring to climb again after a trophy goal was met.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:11 pm

Vitaliy M. wrote:
stevemeg wrote:
fatdad wrote:
Vitaliy M. wrote:

............after a trophy goal was met.

I stopped after my trophy goal was met, My wife Dawn is a wonderful woman! :D

fatdad

by fatdad » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:52 pm

This is getting somewhat tedious, so let me refresh everyone's recollection of what the OP originally wrote:
chapter11 wrote:Just finished the Vinson Massif in Dec (the last of my Seven Summits) and am looking to retire from mountaineering.

His words, not mine. Maybe he didn't feel the need to get too elaborate on whether there were any other reasons why he was retiring. However, if we look at his phrasing, it very clearly states that he is going to "retire" because he "[j]ust finished the Vinson Massif...(the last of my Seven Summits)." From that, it's pretty easy to conclude that the OP was climbing solely for the purpose of ticking the 7 summits. In my book, that makes him a trophy hunter. If that offends some on this site, I'm sorry you feel that way. Regardless, I'm free to call it like I see it. You of course are free to disagree. I promise I won't pout or call someone a bad father (or mother) if they do. In any event, like Radson wrote, it doesn't really matter why or why not chapter 11 is moving on, so in many ways this entire thread is kind of meaningless. However, when you post you invite commentary whether intended or not.

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:00 pm

I hate "fat" people. "wink".

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:01 pm

Marma, as far as I remember you been hiking for couple of years after creating a bogus list of goals you were supposed to be 2/3 of the way through. Although I consider you more of a 'climber' than OP, at least you go out and do peaks in Tahoe etc for pure joy.
To me there is a difference between a climber (for the joy to be out there, doesn't matter how high the peak is, difficulty/challenge is what really matters) and a trophy hunter/adventure seeker (usually has one goal with a big name to impress regular people that don't understand how easy it is by the easy route, with a guide/cook/porter). Not to take anything from OP, completing 7 summits is no cake walk, shows a lot of dedication, and he did experience a lot of different cultures/saw different countries (which is great).

posted in Jan 2010
I plan on hiking 100 peaks over the next three years. I'm 48 and my wife thinks I've lost my mind. The peaks I have chosen are not technical but based on the beauty of the hike, vertical climb and height. Five of the peaks are 14ers, 24 are 13ers, many in the 12,000 range and the rest, well less than 12.

How many of those have you done? 1 13er Dana? That's it?
Last edited by Vitaliy M. on Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The following user would like to thank Vitaliy M. for this post
Dow Williams

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:09 pm

Vitaliy M. wrote:Marma, as far as I remember you been hiking for couple of years after creating a bogus list of goals you were supposed to be 2/3 of the way through. Although I consider you more of a 'climber' than OP, at least you go out and do peaks in Tahoe etc for pure joy.
To me there is a difference between a climber (for the joy to be out there, doesn't matter how high the peak is, difficulty/challenge is what really matters) and a trophy hunter/adventure seeker (usually has one goal with a big name to impress regular people that don't understand how easy it is by the easy route, with a guide/cook/porter).

posted in Jan 2010
I plan on hiking 100 peaks over the next three years. I'm 48 and my wife thinks I've lost my mind. The peaks I have chosen are not technical but based on the beauty of the hike, vertical climb and height. Five of the peaks are 14ers, 24 are 13ers, many in the 12,000 range and the rest, well less than 12.

How many of those have you done? 1 13er Dana? That's it?

What's your point of posting my goals? June of 2010 my son went into the hospital with a severe illness, he was in and out on 7 or more occasions with most lasting a full week. December of 2010 was the last time my son was admitted into UCSF, so my 2010 climbing calender was very much interupted.

Have a great day Vitaliy.

Vitaliy M.

by Vitaliy M. » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:16 pm

My point is that your goals were bogus and not realistic for your priorities. Don't see the need of posting a list of things one has no way to complete in given time frame. Before your son ever went to hospital you pretty much did not do crap for the whole previous year. By that point you were supposed to be like 1/3 of the way through your list, no?

Marmaduke

by Marmaduke » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:30 pm

Vitaliy M. wrote:My point is that your goals were bogus and not realistic for your priorities. Don't see the need of posting a list of things one has no way to complete in given time frame. Before your son ever went to hospital you pretty much did not do crap for the whole previous year. By that point you were supposed to be like 1/3 of the way through your list, no?

That's only your opinion as to my goals if they were realistic or not, but 100 peaks in 3 years is in fact very realistic. You have done 150 in only 2 years.
There was no previous year as you posted. I hiked/climbed 26 peaks in 2011 which would equate to 78 over 3 years, so a little behind my goal. Oh well, we'll see what transpires in 2012.

PreviousNext

Return to Classifieds