katahdin question

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
tujumbo13

katahdin question

by tujumbo13 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:47 pm

does anyone know if its true that one must arrive by 7am to gain entrance into Baxter State Park to hike Katahdin? I've seen this on a couple websites, just looking to verify ...

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:54 pm

Actually, they say to guarantee a parking place, you should arrive around 5 am. Depends on day/ season/ weather etc. This is for the Helon Taylor Trail. I've seen a line of cars waiting for the gates to open. Cooking our breakfast carside. Really small parking lot.

rasgoat

by rasgoat » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:11 pm

Tioga gate, a few trails lead from there. I always get there early and I get in, It's worth it.

triyoda

Re: katahdin question

by triyoda » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:32 am

tujumbo13 wrote:does anyone know if its true that one must arrive by 7am to gain entrance into Baxter State Park to hike Katahdin? I've seen this on a couple websites, just looking to verify ...

Depends on when you go. I showed up mid week in early September last year, around 3 pm. Rolled right in, got a lean to site. I would imagine the long queues are on weekends during the summer and maybe early fall.

mancopa

by mancopa » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:51 pm

Anyone know if their is flexibility in the winter rules regarding staying at Roaring Brooke?

I want to hit the summit, but would rather hike in the 2 or 3 miles to Togue pond, spend the night, then bypass Roaring Brooke and spend the night at Chimney Pond.

I have an 8 hour drive so logistically, this works best for me.

Anyone have any ideas? I know they are notoriously strict up there.

Thanks

Bark Eater

by Bark Eater » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:52 pm

My info. is somewhat dated. The normal winter approach is from Abol Bridge on the Golden Road, not Togue Pond. If snow conditions are good and you are in shape, it's reasonable for me to think you could ski from Abol Bridge to Chimney Pond in a full day.

When we did it, it seemed like once you were "approved", the BSP officials didn't care too much what your itinerary was, as long as you kept to your "reservation". Of course that may have changed. Our winter climb was up the Hunt Trail from Katahdin Stream CG. It's a much shorter approach. We had the whole place to ourselves and a snug bunkhouse to sleep in.

mancopa

by mancopa » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:50 pm

Thanks for the insider info.

dkoehne

Sep 6, 2009

by dkoehne » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:15 pm

This past Sunday we arrived at the gate at 2am and our car was number 11. If you arrived after 3am you didn't make it to the Roaring Brook car park.

The BSP rangers said that next year one would be able to make a reservation for a car parking space, for a small $5 fee. I am not sure when this becomes official.

Ciao

hikingMaineac

by hikingMaineac » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:04 pm

John Duffield wrote:Actually, they say to guarantee a parking place, you should arrive around 5 am. Depends on day/ season/ weather etc. This is for the Helon Taylor Trail. I've seen a line of cars waiting for the gates to open. Cooking our breakfast carside. Really small parking lot.

Taken from: http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/dulimits.html

MAINE RESIDENTS

Maine residents who want to plan ahead with a guaranteed parking spot at Katahdin trailheads can do so with a limited number of spots (6 each at Roaring Brook and Katahdin Stream, 4 at Abol) that can be reserved for the day.

Starting April 1 each year, reservations (any spot/any day during the summer) are available to Maine residents (must have a Maine driver’s license and car registration). Residents are limited to one site per month and must be for non-commercial use. Once a site is reserved, the visitor must arrive at the Togue Pond gate by 9:00 am during May-September or 8:30 am during October. Reserved spots that are not claimed by these times each day will be released to the general public for regular day use.

To reserve a spot this summer, please call Park Headquarters after April 1 at 723-5140 and be ready to give the clerk your ME license plate number. Best of all – it’s free!

kakakiw

by kakakiw » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:36 pm

Newest web cam on Katahdin.
http://www.5lakeslodge.com/webcam.asp

JonnyAces7

by JonnyAces7 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:45 pm

A couple buddies and I have recently been making an annual trip to Katahdin. We having been camping out but the parking lot for the Roaring Brook campground is next to where many day hikers park. Put it this way, it was still dark and we could hear cars starting to come in. I would recommend getting a camp site if your schedule allows but you may need to sign up well in advance (maybe 3-4 months).

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)