Katahdin Sound Effect?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.
kozman18

Katahdin Sound Effect?

by kozman18 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:40 am

Years ago, I was at Chimney Pond (Katahdin) in October -- a clear, still, cold morning. I forget exactly where I was standing (I think it was on the way to the water supply, but it's been too long to be sure), when I heard a voice. It said in a normal tone: "Hello, how are you?" or words to that effect. But, there was no one there (no, this is not a religious revelation thread). I heard the voice again, "Look up on the ridge." Still no one around (no, this is not a thread about special mushrooms). So, I looked up on the ridge as directed -- a long way off, and could clearly see a person waving (he was waving something -- a jacket or something like it). And I could hear, very clearly, this person's voice as he explained that sometimes the Katahdin "bowl" acts to gather sound and focus it on a spot at the bowl's bottom. The spot where I was standing.

A very cool effect (a little unnerving too). I asked my wife to confirm that this really happened -- to doublecheck it's not just the onset of early dementia -- and she remembered the same story (she was with me on the hike, but not at the exact spot when it occurred).

Anyone ever hear of this or experience it first hand? I did a quick web check and could find no similar reports.

Hypotheses about my mental condition are expected.

rasgoat

Re: Katahdin Sound Effect?

by rasgoat » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:04 am

never heard of it but if true sounds cool.

kozman18

by kozman18 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:18 pm

It is true, but to be honest it sounded so weird I had to check with others who were on the same trip to be sure (it was about 25 years ago). I looked at a map to refresh my memory -- Chimney Pond lies at what looks like a natural focal point in the basin that is formed by the ridges leading to Baxter Peak. The guy's voice was clear and normal toned -- he wasn't shouting, and he obviously knew of the phenomenon (he explained it to me from far away). It was like he was right next to me.

By way of disclaimer, on the same trip a couple of friends of mine were outside smoking pot the night before the summit hike -- they were discussing their fear of climbing the very steep peak that was outlined in the moonlight in front of them. When I explained that they were actually looking at the peak of the outhouse, not the summit, they calmed down a bit. So who knows.

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:40 pm

I think I've heard of this effect before.

For me though, it wasn't sound. It was skeeters. We'd come up Helon Taylor and down (not Cathedral that time). It was a crazy hot day, we headed to the pond to wash up, eat something and relax a few minutes.

Can't remember ever getting eaten so bad in my life. We were so psyched for a break at the pond with the gorgeous view of the half cauldron, that it took us over-long to realize we were taking a lot of damage. Even tried riding it out, shoving the food down our throats and putting on bug shit but to no avail. Went running off past the cabins back to the trail with our half eaten lunches in our hands.

Return to Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)