KIM COLORADO TO KENTON OK VIA SHEEP PEN CANYON/NM 456 HWY

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
Niederbayer

KIM COLORADO TO KENTON OK VIA SHEEP PEN CANYON/NM 456 HWY

by Niederbayer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:15 pm

has anyone driven from KIM CO to KENTON OK (Black Mesa) down via CR 197 (Sheep Pen Canyon) etc to NM 456 ? Do I need 4 x 4 drive or can a normal sedan (no high clearance) make it?

Alpinist

Re: KIM COLORADO TO KENTON OK VIA SHEEP PEN CANYON/NM 456 HW

by Alpinist » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:20 pm

I drove half that road. It's a flat, graded, gravel road. We turned around half way and drove around the long way because there was a sign posted on an iron gate that said keep out, private property. The gate was open but the sign would have been in the middle of the road facing us if the gate were shut.

When I got home and looked at a map, I realized that the road is county road. I'm not sure why there is a gate at all but it's a public road. Maybe it was private long ago and they never took the gate/sign down. We should have just ignored it but I didn't want some rancher chasing us with a shotgun...

Anyway, the road is no problem unless you have torrential rains or snow.

JohnMcPike

Re: KIM COLORADO TO KENTON OK VIA SHEEP PEN CANYON/NM 456 HW

by JohnMcPike » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:56 pm

Back in 2000 we traveled to Kim Cemetery and went into the nearby convenience store and asked them about that same road. They mentioned the gates and that they weren't always open and recommended just staying on the main road

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)