Koflach Arctis EXPE

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
T Sharp

Koflach Arctis EXPE

by T Sharp » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:05 am

I recently purchased a pair of ArctisEXPE double mountaineering boots from a fellow here on SP. The transaction was not without its hitches, but ended up OK. My question relates to fit, and more specifically to fit of the outer shell...when I have my foot in the inner boot, and it laced up tightly, there does not seem to be enough tongue on the shell to fully cover the bellows, also the outer cuff on the upper boot are insufficiently large enough to meet much less overlap. I am curious if this is common to this boot, or if the volume of my foot is overly large for the shell. The length of the boot seems to be good, I cannot touch the end of the boot with my toe. The width of the boot seems a bit narrow, but I can increase the volume of the boot by inserting my orthotic foot beds. Anybody with this model have advise on the fit?
Thanks in advance. :)

DukeJH

Re: Koflach Arctis EXPE

by DukeJH » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:08 pm

I haven't experienced any fit problems with mine. I'm not sure about your terminology but my inner boot extends above the cuff of the shell. The shell cuff does not meet in the front so the laces go across the tongue of the inner boot.

The following user would like to thank DukeJH for this post
T Sharp

T Sharp

by T Sharp » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:16 am

Thanks DukeJH, you answered one of my questions regarding the upper cuff not meeting causing the laces to go across the inner boot tongue.
My other question has to do with the lower boot shell, and the overlapping tongue halves that go under the laces. With my foot in the boot, there is not sufficient material to the outer shell to fully overlap here either. This leaves part of the gusseted tongue material exposed. Also the way these things fit, there is barely enough lace to tie a knot on the outer shell. Perhaps they were saving weight by making the tongue and upper cuff extremely small, but another 10 inches of lace would not weigh that much! I am frankly kind of surprised [if I have the right sized boot] that the cut of the material is so poorly designed, especially for such an expensive boot!

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:21 pm

I think most of the black gusset material is covered by shell on mine when they are laced. I'll check this weekend. My laces are a little short but I prefer them that way they don't get caught on things.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:46 pm

the inner boots might not be the same size as the outer boots. so you might get 10.5 inner boots for 10 outer boots. i got a 10.5, my buddy got 11 and both outer boots are exactly the same size. the previous owner might have switched the laces.

The following user would like to thank kevin trieu for this post
T Sharp

Buz Groshong

by Buz Groshong » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:21 pm

I think it's been said before on here that the Koflach outer boots only come in whole sizes although the inner boots come in half sizes. So a 10-1/2 boot would have a 10-1/2 inner boot and an 11 outer boot. Outer boot should be same size or 1/2 size larger than inner boot.

The following user would like to thank Buz Groshong for this post
T Sharp

T Sharp

by T Sharp » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:06 am

Thanks Kevin and Buz and DukeJH for the input, I had not considered the whole shell size issue, my boots are a straight size 8, so maybe I should just accept that as long as the inner boot fits well, the rest is as it should be.
Cheers!

DukeJH

by DukeJH » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:20 pm

As proimsed I put my boots on this weekend. Seemed odd since it was 80F outside. Anyway...

The black tongue gusset of the shell shows some, but not much when I am laced and tied.

If you want to check the sizes, the outsdie tongue of the inner boot is printed with its size. The outer shell has the size molded into it in two locations. First is on the softer plastic ankle cuff. The second is on the top of the ankle where the gusset attaches. My boots are EU9.5, my shells are stamped 10.5, and the inner boot is printed EU9,5 and US10.

Return to Gear