Lake Tahoe Backcountry Huts

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
simonov

Lake Tahoe Backcountry Huts

by simonov » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:20 am

I recently fled Southern California and am now living in the Reno area and am eager to explore the mountains near here.

This winter, I intend to check out the Sierra Club's Lake Tahoe Backcountry Huts. The website has lot of information, but does anyone have any other suggestions or experiences or proposed itineraries for hut to hut snowshoe or ski trips? I'd love to hear some ideas.
Nunc est bibendum.

no avatar
Palisades79

Re: Lake Tahoe Backcountry Huts

by Palisades79 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:18 pm

Depending on the snowpack & time of year they are all interesting weekday destinations & bases for skiing nearby peaks. They can be jammed on weekends . Also take a look at the Van Vleck Bunkhouse ,Robbs Peak Hut, Loon Lake Chalet , & Meiss Lake Hut .There were cabins in Desolation Valley before it was a wilderness area.

no avatar
powderjunkie

by powderjunkie » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:06 pm

I've never stayed in any of the huts but have day toured or hiked to most except the Benson and Bradley Huts.

In a nut shell, they are not located in places where it is easy to do winter hut to hut tours.

Benson and Bradley are probably the only ones where you can combined nights.

You could link Peter Grub, Clair Tappan (which is on Donner Pass Road), Benson to Bradley. Ludlow is too far away from Bradley, I think, to link up.

no avatar
fogey

by fogey » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:32 am

powderjunkie wrote: Ludlow is too far away from Bradley, I think, to link up.

In 1997-99, Bradley Hut was relocated from Five Lakes Basin in Granite Chief Wilderness to Pole Creek. The Five Lakes Basin site was at least somewhat more suitable for a trip to or from Ludlow, but when the hut there was found to be (barely) within the Granite Chief Wilderness, the Sierra Club moved it.

The Meiss Hut has been out of service for several years now. Dave Beck used to have an agreement with the Forest Service to use the hut, but that agreement terminated and (authorized) hut use went with it. Last I heard, the Forest Service was engaged in a planning process about what to do next.

Lost Trail Lodge (not too far from Donner Lake) is another possibility; though it is much less spartan (and more expensive) than the Sierra Club huts, the people I know who've gone there liked it: http://www.losttraillodge.com/

The Sierra Club huts operate on a reservation system and are often full on weekends--you should check with the club before going in to stay overnight. You should be able to find out more at http://clairtappaanlodge.com/backcountry-huts

ScottyP

by ScottyP » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:45 pm

+1 for Lost Trail lodge! Just got back form there to scope out the ice in Coldstream (the route, no ice yet)... Super fun lodge even to stop by n look at all the history on the walls!

JuliaCohan

by JuliaCohan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:20 pm

This may be a little out of the way, but the River Ranch Lodge is awesome. I believe it's located near the Tahoe City area (close to Squaw Valley - awesome skiing and cute village).

I discovered River Ranch after tubing down the Truckee River - it's where all tubes end up! In the summer their outdoor patio/bar is the place to be. I remember it being decently priced and really enjoying my food/drinks.

I haven't stayed there during the winter yet, so I'd suggest doing a little more research to see if it's in the general location you're interested in exploring! It's definitely worth checking out: http://riverranchlodge.com/

If you're ever in/by North Shore, check out Chambers Landing, too (restaurant). It's right on the water and perfect for lunch/dinner.

Return to California