Late start to Bavarian winter?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Europe. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Europe Climbing Partners section.
Charles

by Charles » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:37 pm

Well Bryan the forecast for the weekend is Stormy :cry: It´s also gone warm again. Today the weather is forecasted to be super there. Just see how it goes.

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:19 am

charles wrote:Well Bryan the forecast for the weekend is Stormy :cry: It´s also gone warm again. Today the weather is fore casted to be super there. Just see how it goes.

Many thanks Charles. Getting information from someone on the ground so as to speak is a lot more helpful than any number of weather forecasts!

I'll just continue to wait as I can't see I have a lot to lose.

Up to the levels I will winter hike/snowshoe, (say 1800m to 2000m), I think there is no where near enough snow at present. And as I am still fairly new to the mountains and snowshoe on my own, my personal Rule Number 1 is to only go in winter on routes I have already done in summer/autumn.

So if the "no snow" situation at my levels continues I may end up doing a late winter/early spring trip with longer days and maybe more settled weather. And wait until next year to get onto my MSRs again!

Especially as I've got a whole load of Air Miles, and at least at present it seems I can get very late booked Airmiles flight with BA by using more miles and getting a Business Class flight!

Does the forecast mean you will not do your trip this weekend Charles?

I do see we are due a cold blast here in the UK from Monday next week, which will hopefully get to Bayern.

Charles

by Charles » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:56 am

Bryan, I think we´ll go. I´m not sure who is going yet, but one chap is certainly on for it, so I think we´ll give it a go. But if it looks like it´ll just piss down, well been there done that one :D
We´re off here:

http://www.riesner.at/Touren/Skitouren/Seehorn/Seehorn_karte.jpg

So as you can see it´s not great dangerous trip. If the weather is half way ok we can head into the valley anyway. It´s across the way from the Watzmann on the edge of the Steinernemeer and in the Berchesgadener map if you have it. (south west side of it) We´ll firm everything up tomorrow evening.

When are you off?

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:27 pm

Well, fingers crossed you get a half decent trip at least Charles.

As for me. I'm just waiting here, bags all packed. It's great being in the position that as soon as a likely weather window crops up I can just (try and) grab a cheap flight and head off.

And if there is no decent snow where I want it, I'll probably end up going late Feb/early March with a view to enjoying some early Spring hiking.

Big Benn

by Big Benn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:19 am

Got fed up waiting for winter in Bavaria.

So I'm flying out Monday for a nine day trip. There is some snow forecast, but I doubt it will be much. Got all my winter gear packed, but not sure how much of it I'll need.

Anyway, it'll be nice plodding up the mountain tracks again. Not done that since mid October last year.

Charles

by Charles » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:53 pm

Bryan Benn wrote:Got fed up waiting for winter in Bavaria.

So I'm flying out Monday for a nine day trip. There is some snow forecast, but I doubt it will be much. Got all my winter gear packed, but not sure how much of it I'll need.

Anyway, it'll be nice plodding up the mountain tracks again. Not done that since mid October last year.

Enjoy yourself Bryan, it´s cracking the flags here today. Rain/snow in the Eastern Alps is forecast first for Sunday. What have you got planned? If you´re in Munich at all we could have a pint together.

Previous

Return to Europe