Leave the list climbers alone!

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Vitaliy M.

Re: Leave the list climbers alone!

by Vitaliy M. » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:34 am

Why isn't Lamuria on the list?

no avatar
Dan Shorb

by Dan Shorb » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:13 pm

Vitaliy M. wrote:Why isn't Lamuria on the list?

Just like mountains aren't real unless they're here on SP, Vitaly, If Wiki doesn't cover it... well, its not real. ...I mean, mythical, er, ...legendary at least.

Perhaps you just added it?

Its nice 'cause Purgatory is actually not too far from Albuquerque. So I'll start locally. I'll finish up with a trip to the Russian space agency for Nibiru.

I"M ALSO STARTING A LIST OF MY 50 HIGHEST UNGUIDED POOPS:

My second highest so far:
我不知道杰克

bird

by bird » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:53 pm

CSUMarmot wrote:
knoback wrote:You can follow my tweets along the way,

The funny thing is when I get cellphone reception from the summits I do tweet my location. But thats not spraying because no one in the climbing community follows me!

Whats your twitter handle?

no avatar
fredzurensick

by fredzurensick » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:57 am

NW wrote:Mountain lists are like any other list, beneficial for organizing your thoughts and goals but obviously limiting if you stick just to them with no exceptions. Example, if I went to the grocery store with a grocery list (obviously) and only bought what was on the list no matter how cheap ice cream was on sale then I would obviously be missing out. But if I got what was on my list and bought cheap ice cream then I would feel good about getting everything on the list and be enjoying sweet delicious ice cream... great... now I want ice cream.

Except in small amounts, ice cream is bad for you. Not sure what that does to the metaphor... :mrgreen:

gwave47

by gwave47 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:24 am

Nothing wrong with lists. I have a list.

I want to hike/climb every mountain in America. Preferably starting with the tallest ones first and then making my way down. That way when I'm in my late 60's and can't deal with altitude anymore I'll be on sub 10k peaks.... and by the time i'm in my 80's, my grandson will only have to push me and my wheelchair up sub 8k peaks.

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:08 am

gwave47 wrote:Nothing wrong with lists. I have a list.

I want to hike/climb every mountain in America. Preferably starting with the tallest ones first and then making my way down. That way when I'm in my late 60's and can't deal with altitude anymore I'll be on sub 10k peaks.... and by the time i'm in my 80's, my grandson will only have to push me and my wheelchair up sub 8k peaks.

Whoa whoa, let's not be an elevation chauvinist. I'm sure you very well know that some of the highest peaks are quite easy (http://www.summitpost.org/mount-elbert/150325) while some of the smaller ones may very well pack a mean punch (http://www.summitpost.org/weavers-needle/150850)

gwave47

by gwave47 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:23 am

What can I say, I like to get high, in the mountains, but not like that. Trust me I know, hell, Pikes Peak has a road to the top. Even Mt. Sunflower requires you to walk 70 feet to the top.

Princess Buttercup

by Princess Buttercup » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:26 am

List finishes are fun, and a good excuse to carry around bottles of sparkling bevvies and treats...

(Oh, and congrats, Bob, on the HPS finish a few weeks ago and presumably OGUL today!!)

radson

by radson » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:53 am

I like Jake Norton's prospective list.

http://www.challenge21.com/

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:46 pm

I've been meaning to ask Jake if he knows that someone already has 18 of those 21! :wink:

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:57 pm

Don't forget the "four stepsisters" -- the highest peaks in countries whose names begin with the letter "D":

Dominican Republic: Loma Gajo 2279 m
Djibouti: Moussa Ali 2028 m
Dominica: Morne Diablotins 1447 m
Denmark: Møllehøj 171 m

(repeat post from 2009)

no avatar
Skateboards2Scrapers

by Skateboards2Scrapers » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:49 am

The pursuit of lists is a dilemma which tends to lead me to a state of confusion.

I see these people training their asses off to achieve objectives, sometimes from lists, and am psyched to see these folks off the couch.

Conversely, I see people setting themselves up for a potential feeling of emptiness upon the completion of these, as well as a potential retrospective "why the hell was i going after that list agian?" kind of mentality.

Climbing, hiking, scrambling (or whatever your ego needs to call it) should be done for personal reasons. In the event you find the aesthetics of a line drawing, in the event that the challenges of a route such as the Bachar-Yerian or You Asked For It are appealing, or whatever high it is you may be seeking, as long as the reasons you are climbing it are personal (and not just because they are in a book like 50 classic climbs or something) and not for glory seeking, get after it and get psyched!

If your reasons are to seek glory, please reconsider your objectives and find things to climb for yourself. If you climb for other people (GLORY SEEKING), you will get the chop or at the very least look like an idiot.

AlexeyD

by AlexeyD » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm kind of surprised that this conversation is even happening. Since there is really no inherent logic in climbing, the idea that somehow one reason for doing it is more or less valid than the next is kind of moot. Personally, I am not a list climbed and don't see myself ever being one, but I'd never even think of passing judgment on people who choose to climb for that reason - especially considering that I KNOW many of them are much better climbers than me. In fact, I really don't care what most people's reason is...as long as you act in an ethical, responsible way and respect the environment, it doesn't make any difference. The only thing I don't understand is why anyone would think any different!

The following user would like to thank AlexeyD for this post
Vitaliy M.

radson

by radson » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:55 am

AlexeyD wrote:I'm kind of surprised that this conversation is even happening. Since there is really no inherent logic in climbing, the idea that somehow one reason for doing it is more or less valid than the next is kind of moot. Personally, I am not a list climbed and don't see myself ever being one, but I'd never even think of passing judgment on people who choose to climb for that reason - especially considering that I KNOW many of them are much better climbers than me. In fact, I really don't care what most people's reason is...as long as you act in an ethical, responsible way and respect the environment, it doesn't make any difference. The only thing I don't understand is why anyone would think any different!

I don't know about no inherent logic. I try to get up big hills to justify my outrageous gear purchases. :)

NW

by NW » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:27 pm

fredzurensick wrote:Except in small amounts, ice cream is bad for you. Not sure what that does to the metaphor... :mrgreen:

Don't say such things! It is a glorious thing! On a hot hike down a mountain it really helps to picture it waiting for you at the bottom.

PreviousNext

Return to General